Skimmer effectiveness on nano with water changes?

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an IM 25, currently using an Eshopps Nano Skimmer.

I was using Versa's to to auto water changes, which was about 3 gallons every 7 days. But, I now use those to dose 2 part since corals have grown so much so I'm changing 5g a week every Sunday now. Skimmer used to be emptied about once (maybe a bit more, just depended on days when it was emptied) a week, dark green on the wetter side skim. But, I have noticed the effectiveness of my skimmer since doing 5G all at once,, is now next to nothing unless set to skim super wet, and it's a light shade of green, most the build up of gunk never gets out of the neck of the cup. Is it worth just removing it from the tank and perhaps building something like a chaeto reactor with an old Phosban reactor I have laying around?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 25, currently using an Eshopps Nano Skimmer.

I was using Versa's to to auto water changes, which was about 3 gallons every 7 days. But, I now use those to dose 2 part since corals have grown so much so I'm changing 5g a week every Sunday now. Skimmer used to be emptied about once (maybe a bit more, just depended on days when it was emptied) a week, dark green on the wetter side skim. But, I have noticed the effectiveness of my skimmer since doing 5G all at once,, is now next to nothing unless set to skim super wet, and it's a light shade of green, most the build up of gunk never gets out of the neck of the cup. Is it worth just removing it from the tank and perhaps building something like a chaeto reactor with an old Phosban reactor I have laying around?

I would think that you would have more build up before the change. However, you said your corals have grown a lot. I wonder if they are taking up more nutrients than they use to. What are your nutrient levels like?

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're changing 5 gallons of water every week on a 25 gallon tank you don't need a skimmer because you're exporting the majority of the nutrients the skimmer would grab. I only change 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly and my skimmer works fine, if I changed more water like you're doing I wouldn't need the skimmer. That seems like a lot of water to be removing every week but sounds like it's working great for you other than the skimmer not getting much which like I said is due to removing nutrients via weekly water changes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back