Skimmer Eruption

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came out of the bathroom this morning and smelled fart. The smell wasn't there when I went in so, naturally, I blamed the wife.

It wasn't her this time, so I opened the cabinet to check my sump and saw the skimmer in full eruption, having dumped the contents of the collection cup in the sump. Foam was pouring out of every hole, the cup was full of clear water and thick brown suds were floating on the surface in the sump.

Ammonia, nitrates and phosphates do not appear to have increased significantly, and nothing's dead yet (or showing obvious signs of stress).

Attempts to restart the skimmer have so far failed, all that happens is the eruption continues. I've got the RODI cooking some new water for a water change, but I think that's all I can do.

What happened? Did my skimmer cup overflow and cause the thing to go nuts? Or are there other possibilities I haven't considered.

Thanks.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came out of the bathroom this morning and smelled fart. The smell wasn't there when I went in so, naturally, I blamed the wife.

It wasn't her this time, so I opened the cabinet to check my sump and saw the skimmer in full eruption, having dumped the contents of the collection cup in the sump. Foam was pouring out of every hole, the cup was full of clear water and thick brown suds were floating on the surface in the sump.

Ammonia, nitrates and phosphates do not appear to have increased significantly, and nothing's dead yet (or showing obvious signs of stress).

Attempts to restart the skimmer have so far failed, all that happens is the eruption continues. I've got the RODI cooking some new water for a water change, but I think that's all I can do.

What happened? Did my skimmer cup overflow and cause the thing to go nuts? Or are there other possibilities I haven't considered.

Thanks.
Restricted air intake?

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to happen with my redsea skimmer quite a bit. Sounds like the overflowing back in to the sump caused it to go nuts, although something caused it to overflow in the first place but once its overflowing like that and the skimmers retaking the overflowed water its just a cycle of oveflows.
Your best bet is to leave it off for a couple hours let everything settle and then most likely it'll work again.

OP
OP
Mark Goode

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to happen with my redsea skimmer quite a bit. Sounds like the overflowing back in to the sump caused it to go nuts, although something caused it to overflow in the first place but once its overflowing like that and the skimmers retaking the overflowed water its just a cycle of oveflows.
Your best bet is to leave it off for a couple hours let everything settle and then most likely it'll work again.
I think so too. Today was maintenance day, but perhaps I left my skimmer for too long. Nothing seems harmed, though I could do without the yellow water.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
this happens when I feed frozen greasy mysis

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back