skimmer for 20 gal Innovative marine peninsula

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a skimmer that works and fits in the innovative marine 20 gal AIO peninsula tank?

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Reef Glass skimmer but I had to make modifications to get it to run constantly, if interested lmk. Once I did though, it runs great. It's an airstone skimmer, so you will have to replace them. I do them monthly, get them off eBay at 10 for $15 or so. Not awful. I mainly use it for gas exchange. I have plenty of surface agitation but I feel this helps. I run it pretty dry, so it doesn't pull out too much. Just helps keep things in check.

I did try a couple other needle wheel skimmers and could never get the microbubbles to subside enough. I run this skimmer dry and a fuge for 4hrs in the middle of the night. Has been great holding PO4 and NO3 manageable for me.

I have an IM 20 Fusion Pro, first gen.

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go skimmerless
This is absolutely possible, just ensure you have enough surface agitation for gas exchange and if your PO4 and NO3 start getting high, get the inTank fuge for one of the chambers. I run that and a $9 grow LED from Home depot, chaeto grows like mad lol

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I run the Reef Glass skimmer but I had to make modifications to get it to run constantly, if interested lmk. Once I did though, it runs great. It's an airstone skimmer, so you will have to replace them. I do them monthly, get them off eBay at 10 for $15 or so. Not awful. I mainly use it for gas exchange. I have plenty of surface agitation but I feel this helps. I run it pretty dry, so it doesn't pull out too much. Just helps keep things in check.

I did try a couple other needle wheel skimmers and could never get the microbubbles to subside enough. I run this skimmer dry and a fuge for 4hrs in the middle of the night. Has been great holding PO4 and NO3 manageable for me.

I have an IM 20 Fusion Pro, first gen.
Mind sharing a pic of the setup?

Got a 20 pro as well

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind sharing a pic of the setup?
Getting late here but I will take some tomorrow with how it's setup and list what I did to correct the issues I found. Since my modifications I'm a month without having to change a thing. Before I was tweaking or changing something nonstop to try and get it working.

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my issues with the Reef Glass were a few:

Airstone would occasionally "glug" and air pump couldn't push through: Resolved by adding a check valve to the feed line. Can see it on the black line

Airstone got stuck in the tube occasionally due to expansion: Switched from 3/4" x 2" air stones to 1/2" x 3" air stones. This allowed greater water flow around the airstone while retaining similar surface area.

Drain line got clogged daily: Resolved by upgrading to a 1/4" air line from home depot with push fitting (white one on the top of the unit)

I use powerade bottles, I drilled a hole in the top of one and added three exit holes for air. This is crucial as if you dont give it a way for the air to escape, the skimmer won't produce any bubbles.

Emptied the bottle today actually, that's about 3-4 weeks worth. I run it dry but I don't ever turn it off, even to feed so it does pull a bit wet during then.

Most would've likely given up with those issues, but to run the system I wanted (two media baskets, you can see the 2nd next to the skimmer, UV on the left) I needed a skimmer that fit in about a 2" x 4" space. This does easily.

Attachments

• Image-1 (1).jpeg
    Image-1 (1).jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Image-2 (1).jpeg
    Image-2 (1).jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Image-3 (1).jpeg
    Image-3 (1).jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 54

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the eshopps nano skimmer in my Waterbox 20 it’s my first skimmer so don’t have anything to compare it to but I’ve been happy with it. It pulls nice and dark skimmate and micro bubbles went away after a couple days of starting it up

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the eshopps nano skimmer in my Waterbox 20 it’s my first skimmer so don’t have anything to compare it to but I’ve been happy with it. It pulls nice and dark skimmate and micro bubbles went away after a couple days of starting it up
What is the actual footprint of that one? I was looking at it but the reviews had a different footprint listed as the ad did, so I didn't risk it.

Chris-Dott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon IM fusion pro 20 Peninsula and picked up the IM desktop NuvoDC protein skimmer, it hasn’t arrived yet (Thursday) but it fits into the Section.

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ghost skimmer ON IM website thats recommended. Doesn't produce great skimmer but it works, without micro bubbles. The first hour after cleaning gets good neck sludge but results in the cup are a bit watery regardless of cup level. I feed pretty heavily so with weekly water changes its a good combination.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon IM fusion pro 20 Peninsula and picked up the IM desktop NuvoDC protein skimmer, it hasn’t arrived yet (Thursday) but it fits into the Section.
have you had a chance to try out this skimmer yet?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back