Skimmer for 25-30g frag tank

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an AIO. My next (second) tank will likely be a 25-30g frag tank w/ sump. I think the skimmer chamber will be 12" x 7.5". Can you please recommend a good skimmer that is reliable, with straightforward setup, and budget friendly? Even better if it is scalable (I can buy the same skimmer only larger for a 180g tank).

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Possibly one of the nano skimmers, like IceCap or Bubble Magus?
I have the Ice Cap, not a fan. Frankly, I am not a fan of skimmers in nanos, I think. I had that in a nuvo 20. I think the success I saw in nutrient export had nothing to do with a skimmer and everything too do with 25-30% weekly water changes. I have a 6G tank with 2 clown and 5 coral, it has the most simplistic filter, water change have kept it straight, 50% minimum weekly. I need to set up a temp frag tank tomorrow for about 2 months, aio. I am going to do 50% water changes weekly, I figure, if the dkh doesn't drop more than a point, water changes should catch that too. Everyone's milage will vary, but I wonder at what point do you need equipment for nutrient export vs water changes ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Ice Cap, not a fan. Frankly, I am not a fan of skimmers in nanos, I think. I had that in a nuvo 20. I think the success I saw in nutrient export had nothing to do with a skimmer and everything too do with 25-30% weekly water changes. I have a 6G tank with 2 clown and 5 coral, it has the most simplistic filter, water change have kept it straight, 50% minimum weekly. I need to set up a temp frag tank tomorrow for about 2 months, aio. I am going to do 50% water changes weekly, I figure, if the dkh doesn't drop more than a point, water changes should catch that too. Everyone's milage will vary, but I wonder at what point do you need equipment for nutrient export vs water changes ?
Solely water changes do work for many people (especially when you have a low bio load).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back