Screenshot_20240325-151745.png
    185 KB · Views: 16

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a magtool DC-SQ50 for my 40g fusion innovative marine tank. Don't know if that's compatible or not with yours
What's crazy is I had this one too and returned it. I think with nano tanks, all the nano skimmers work differently on each brand/model tank. I've heard tunze is great but never had luck. Eshops worked for me but not mag tool but they almost look exactly the same and I think it's the same concept skimmer. In mag tools defense I probably didn't give it enough time to break in properly. But I had water rising issues within the tube constantly. To each (nano) his own I guess.. If the mag tool working that's solid. Looked like high build quality when I used it briefly

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's crazy is I had this one too and returned it. I think with nano tanks, all the nano skimmers work differently on each brand/model tank. I've heard tunze is great but never had luck. Eshops worked for me but not mag tool but they almost look exactly the same and I think it's the same concept skimmer. In mag tools defense I probably didn't give it enough time to break in properly. But I had water rising issues within the tube constantly. To each (nano) his own I guess.. If the mag tool working that's solid. Looked like high build quality when I used it briefly
Ya I haven’t set it up yet and I’m excited because it’s my first ever skimmer

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I haven’t set it up yet and I’m excited because it’s my first ever skimmer
If you have an ATO you should be good but it'll take a few days to settle I bet. Just adjust so bubbles barely hit the lower part of the neck. Without an automatic top off unit, you would get very frustrated. I'm assuming you have an ATO.

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an ATO you should be good but it'll take a few days to settle I bet. Just adjust so bubbles barely hit the lower part of the neck. Without an automatic top off unit, you would get very frustrated. I'm assuming you have an ATO.
I don’t actually! So don’t want the bubbles going all the way up then

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t actually! So don’t want the bubbles going all the way up then
If it's an All in one tank, with chambers in the back, you will need an ATO. Decent ones on Amazon. Maybe same maker as the mag skimmer. It's called mag something ATO

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking into getting a protein skimmer for my tideline 47g AIO i cant seem to find any any recommendations will be very much appreciated
I have used the Aquamax HOB skimmer with great success. The HF-M filter and the HOB 1.5 are both very good.

They may be a bit large for your tank but not too much. And also bigger is generally better for skimmers.

I’ve also used the macro aqua nano skimmer m-50 when I had a 46g bowfront. It is a mighty little skimmer.

Any of these three would be good. I’m partial to the HF-M because it can be a small Refugium as well.

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I need an ATO?
Assuming you are going to have water level dropping without one, your skimmer won't get dialed into a locked water level position. It'll be bouncing all around. Those skimmers perform well when the water level is a constant. If you u have it in a spot, where the water level (skimmer chamber) never drops then you might be ok without an ATO

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you are going to have water level dropping without one, your skimmer won't get dialed into a locked water level position. It'll be bouncing all around. Those skimmers perform well when the water level is a constant. If you u have it in a spot, where the water level (skimmer chamber) never drops then you might be ok without an ATO
I will figure it out as I go! Gonna try and use it without one it has 4 chambers in the back

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will figure it out as I go! Gonna try and use it without one it has 4 chambers in the back
Yeah, usually the second to last chamber (last chamber usually for heaters and the return pump...in most cases. ) is for the skimmer.
If you notice the foam in bubbles are constantly dropping and rising after you top things off, then you will know you need an ATO

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, usually the second to last chamber (last chamber usually for heaters and the return pump...in most cases. ) is for the skimmer.
If you notice the foam in bubbles are constantly dropping and rising after you top things off, then you will know you need an ATO
awesome thank you I’ll keep that in mind!

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread. BRS had a 40% off sale yesterday on aqua max so I scooped up the ws-1 skimmer. Anybody running there aio skimmer without a filter sock? I’d like to do away with mine and run a media tower for carbon in the first chamber and then the skimmer. My tank only has three back chambers so I need to clear some room for the skimmer

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve already got a Tunze 9004 from my previous 40 breeder. Can anyone confirm fit for the tideline 47g?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back