Skimmer for a Shallow Sump?

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In need of some specific recommendations for an in-sump skimmer for a shallow sump (Water level is about 5-6 inches) or how to modify my current Bubble Magus APS to accommodate.

Thank you in advance!

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have owned 2 atb 840's both liked 6" of water... do you have room to make a box for your skimmer to sit in? could empty your drain into the box and have it overflow into the sump, why not just raise the level of water in your skimmer section? no overflow capacity?

OP
OP
Max!

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have owned 2 atb 840's both liked 6" of water... do you have room to make a box for your skimmer to sit in? could empty your drain into the box and have it overflow into the sump, why not just raise the level of water in your skimmer section? no overflow capacity?
Yep the overflow height is maxed out at 6" b/c of the baffle

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this a glass or acrylic sump? any pictures? could you add a "extension" to the baffle? would you still have enough capacity incase of power loss?

OP
OP
Max!

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this a glass or acrylic sump? any pictures? could you add a "extension" to the baffle? would you still have enough capacity incase of power loss?

15B2886E-55CD-43DA-904B-B137EE9CF25C.jpeg D4CFB12C-4212-4815-ADCD-FCAA2EFE7CDF.jpeg

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s two twenty longs I connected using a union
yea not alot of height to work with on a 20 long. you could make a box for the skimmer to sit in to raise the water to a level that the skimmer will perform to your liking. would make it harder to service for sure! why do you feel you need to raise the water level? cone style skimmers typically do better in shallow water...

OP
OP
Max!

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea not alot of height to work with on a 20 long. you could make a box for the skimmer to sit in to raise the water to a level that the skimmer will perform to your liking. would make it harder to service for sure! why do you feel you need to raise the water level? cone style skimmers typically do better in shallow water...
I've tweaked it all I can and I can't seem to get the bubbles to pop into the collection cup!

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried raising the water level in the section to see if any change? like during a water change or possibly blocking the teeth on that baffle so the water has to flow over the top? looks like you could get an inch out of that atleast and still not make a major change to the sump itself.. might be all you need?

OP
OP
Max!

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried raising the water level in the section to see if any change? like during a water change or possibly blocking the teeth on that baffle so the water has to flow over the top? looks like you could get an inch out of that atleast and still not make a major change to the sump itself.. might be all you need?
I agree. Recomendation on what to stop it up with?

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plastic of some sort.. maybe you have something laying around. really just need to place something in front of the teeth to see if it is a viable option. if the extra inch doesnt help then you will have to seek another option. the baffle looks cnc'd where did you get it? could you have another cut?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back