Skimmer for IM 50 Gallon Lagoon

tuggerlake26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to potentially purchase the IM 50 gallon lagoon (had been looking at a FijiCube 38, but the stand freaks me out a little bit).

What's a good skimmer that can fit in the back chamber? The chamber is 4"x 3.7". It looks like there is another chamber that's 10.8"x3.7", but that contains the pump for the overflow. Not sure what the free room would be within that space.

I had been looking at a Tunze, but am concerned about the ratings for aquarium sizes. Does anyone with a IM 50 have experience with a Tunze on it?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you concerned about Tunzes skimmer ratings? I find them spot on if you subtract their recommended percentage based on the biotope. I have an IM50 but it's the EXT so a Tunze 9410 resides in the sump. The 9004dc will fit back there but may be a bit undersized if you want to do SPS. I think you will be hard pressed to find a skimmer that outperforms the 9004 that will fit into that chamber.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tuggerlake26

tuggerlake26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you concerned about Tunzes skimmer ratings? I find them spot on if you subtract their recommended percentage based on the biotope. I have an IM50 but it's the EXT so a Tunze 9410 resides in the sump. The 9004dc will fit back there but may be a bit undersized if you want to do SPS. I think you will be hard pressed to find a skimmer that outperforms the 9004 that will fit into that chamber.
Ratings in terms of performance for the tank size. I have some SPS currently (montiporas, pavona, and stylos). Mixed reef though, so maybe I would be okay. I run a Reef Octopus HOB 100 unit and love it. Oversized performance wise for the tank, but adjusting it has kept nitrates/phosphates in line.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 9004dc would work in that case as you probably only have 45g of water in there or so. Knock 50% off of the 89g performance and you are right on. As far as the IM stands go they are solid. You could sit a elephant on the thing. No wobble at all.

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 9004 will only fit in the overflow chambers. There really isn't a skimmer that will fit in the second chamber that is rated for 50 gallons. That being said, I use an Aquaticlife 115 skimmer in one of the second chambers and it works as well as anything in that size, plus it was only $43.00. I have many sps frags, a few larger pieces, six clams and a large magnifica anemone that are all doing well. I also use an IM UV sterilizer in one of the first chambers, and grow chaeto in the other second chamber. So far I need to actually dose phosphates and my nitrates hover around 10. I did start with all live rock in this tank which I think has really helped.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back