Skimmer for JBJ

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this new forum where better to ask that question. I have a JBJ 28 gal w/quad pc. What skimmer will fit this tank without altering the top, removing the media basket and is not air stone driven? Every skimmer is too big in width or the collection cup interferes with the tank top.

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge...pretty much every one on the market will not allow for the lid to open fully. So I will be following this to see everones opion. I need to add a skimmer too.

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack but do the tunze 9002 fit the 28 without a hood?

From what I have seen if you want to keep the hood you have to take if off the hinges and angle it on. You also have to use it in the center chamber which means you can not use the media basket. But that part would not bother me as much as the angled hood resting on the tank.

manimtheman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i have a tunze 9002 in my 28g jbj! it fits like it was made to go in there! i can take pics if you like!

bigronbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i'm going to remove the hood and pop Aquaticlife lights for 1 plug with timer and i believe my temp will stay the same as my 125 display without a fan. the top just holds too much heat in.

bigronbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tunze 9002 i looked on marine depot and its 153.00 but not sure how it mounts. review says it has clogging problems and suggests a Hydor SlimSkim.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 28 gal jbj and trust me to fit the 9002 u will be either dremmeling the hood or collection cup. Love the skimmer though.

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydor is 3.1x3.1 which seems it could be wedged for a tight fit. It seems if you have to remove it that will also take some work. It seems just like the tunze it would have to go in the center since the JBJ skimmer section is 3x3 and not sure how water exits the hydor. Also the lid is still an issue since it takes up rear space when opened.

I am beginning to think it will have to be a HOB now the issue is choosing the slimmest so you will not have to pull the tank so far from the wall. Anything more than 3-4" would be unsightly in a room. Also the pump would have to be slim and the water exit chute could not be overly large.

I has a spare red sea the thin one with smoked plastic. The space needed from the wall was tiny but you have to modify the chute. The pumps fits into the skimmer area but the chute extends beyond the center into the opposite skimmer area. So you have to cut it to fit between baffles. That slimmer also is prone to leaks, hard to tell when it is full.

juujji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the Tunze skimmer too and it will fit in the 28g Nano with a little customization, but at the time due to lack of funds decided to go a little less money. On the recommendation of someone who used the 28g as a horse tank, she uses and recommended the skimmer that is made for the JBJ 28g. I bought one and installed it and it runs like a champ without any problems except the opening of the hood all the way. Since the only time I open the hood all the way is when I'm doing my maintenance, it's not an issue for me. No complaints from me.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tunze 9002 on my jbj 28. I no longer have the lid due to changing over to the Kessil LED's so now I have an open top. You do need to dremel the lip of the rim off to seat the body of the skimmer to the back or your overflow will not work properly. When I was using the hqi top I had to remove the stock collection cup and use the stevieT cup instead. I then could use the lid. Now that I switched out lights I use the stock cup. I like it better. I don't like the stock jbj skimmer at all. If I could do it all over again I would use the Aquamaxx hob-1 skimmer but the tunze along with my weekly wc works good. I don't get a lot of gunk...more like md/dk tea

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tunze on my biocube but it will fit the jbj with some dremmel trimming. Personally, I would think if you keep up with water changes, you won't need a skimmer. I have a biocube 29 with a 15 gallon sump and my skimmer never really puts out anything worth talking about. I even modded the skimmer and there is no real production. Look up tunze 9002 mod on youtube. I did this and the thing is in super production, just not anything dark.

Stingray

Nano Nutt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the eshopps PSK-100 hang on back and it works great! The only down side is that I can only open my hood half way or at a 45 degree angle befor the back hits the intake and return plumbing.

coralhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that a smaller collection cup for the Tunze skimmer can be purchased at Media Baskets

Last edited:

ailachami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a cpr bak-pak 2 that i have laying around for a long time and it fits in the second chamber with drain hose to the last chamber. still keep my media basket and hood opens all the way.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back