Skimmer for JBJ

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that a smaller collection cup for the Tunze skimmer can be purchased at Media Baskets

You are correct InTank make a "skinny cup" for the tunze 9002 that requites no modification to the tank or the hood. You will however have to cut the magnet off the side of the skimmer for it to fit.

JBJCUP.jpg

TNZJBJ%206.jpg

Bueller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquamaxx HOB was on back order for a while, I noticed they took the T off. Does anyone know if it will fit the 28g jbj pro led without modifications now?

Betroc2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting to see your setup too. I just bought a 28 gal. JBJ HQI and I'm looking to upgrade my old skimmer.:clap2:

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalgra, how do you open the lid?:squigglemouth:

Remove the skimmer cup.

Since I posted this I stopped using the tunze skimmer I had for mine because it just caused more problems than it solved. I was getting very poor circulation through the back chambers and started collecting a ridiculous amount of detritus and this skimmer never seemed to stay tuned I was constantly having to fiddle with it to get any skimmate at all and what I did get was not really worth all the hassle.

If you going to go with a skimmer on your JBJ I might sugest trying one of the HOB types. I replaced mine with a mini upflow turf scrubber and that has worked the best for me. So I dont even use a skimmer on mine any more.

Betroc2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read about your turf scrubber. Very helpful info. I don't understand what the clear tube is that runs on the side of the plastic mesh?:squigglemouth: I guess I just need a little more info. on how to build it for start to finish. Do you have a post on that? Sorry If I am picking your brain too much. Just want to do everything right the first time.:bigsmile:

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Prizm on my JBJ that worked out of the box without modding the tank or hood. The inlet pipe drops into the center section which places the output directly over the right hand return pump chamber (when looking at the front of the tank). I do not use a media basket, so there were no interference issues at all. If you use the media basket, you can trim the wide return ramp on the Prizm and put the input tube into the left return pump chamber and the output will drop into the center chamber. You only need to remove about 1/2" from the return ramp (right up to the set screw mounting point.) If you put it in this way, you'll have to remove the skimmer when you need to access your media basket.

It's not a "great" skimmer, but it works well enough and does not interfere with the lid operation at all.

Mac

Betroc2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, check out Kalgras post on his 28 JBJ. He has set up a DIY up flow algae turf scrubber. No need for a skimmer.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a DIY skimmer? It is not rocket science. You need a place for a pump to push a lot of micro bubbles. You need some height. You need a tube at the top for the bubbles that grow because of having protein on the surface tension to climb. You need a catch device for the large bubbles to over flow into. You need an exit for the clear water down low. You need to inject the water from the pump with the micro bubbles about mid way up the column.

Try looking at the many on U-tube... DIY skimmers. The best skimmer I've ever had is the one I now use and it is a DIY from an old Vertex Bio-Pellet Reactor and uses a needle wheel pump. It is too complicated for many to build but there are a lot of simple ones on u-tube that appear to be working just fine.

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have met a few people now who have been very successful with simple DIY wooden airstone skimmers running on an AIO tank.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 41 23.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back