Skimmer Going Crazy Upon Setup

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've had a skimmer in my sump. I just put it back in today to help lower phosphate.

The skimmer has been overflowing nonstop since I set it up 30 mins ago. I tried adjusting the pipe, but nothing happened. What do I do?

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sounds like it might need to break in again with the tank. I would just either remove the cup and just let it run over for a few hours and see if it calms down. or if the cup has a drain tube just let it drain back in the sump as it fills the cup till it settles.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup- it can take a few days or even longer if the skimmer is brand new. Just remove the cup and let it overflow. It will settle down in time.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might need to raise it a little for it to perform properly. I have mine on a platform so it's a few inches off the bottom of the sump.

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to adjust your skimmer. If possible, raise it.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is true that you should raise the skimmer the mfg height listed in the owner's manual, I suspect it alone won't solve the issue and you'll need to run the skimmer longer. I've had skimmers work the first day and others that took 10 or 14 days to break in and stop overflowing from the manufacturing process.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of slime in the water, so the skimmer is overflowing.

Does your skimmer cup have a drain fitting you can put a hose on? IF yes, then to speed up the break-in process by overfilling the sump (as much as is safe) and letting the skimmer run with a hose attached to the cup and running to a 5-gallon bucket. Discard the skimmed water (do a skimmer water change!) and let the skimmer work to remove the gunk from your water. I can add 5 gallons to my sump safely and sometimes do water changes this way.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of slime in the water, so the skimmer is overflowing.

Does your skimmer cup have a drain fitting you can put a hose on? IF yes, then to speed up the break-in process by overfilling the sump (as much as is safe) and letting the skimmer run with a hose attached to the cup and running to a 5-gallon bucket. Discard the skimmed water (do a skimmer water change!) and let the skimmer work to remove the gunk from your water. I can add 5 gallons to my sump safely and sometimes do water changes this way.
Good idea. I wish mine had a fitting...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to use a drain-free collection cup, then restricting the airflow into the skimmer to lower the amount of bubbles may allow you to manually fill and dump the cup a few times and accomplish the same goal. I have crimped or partially plugged intake hoses to achieve this. It is more labor-intensive but I would rather do this work and get the skimmer out of overflow mode quickly to reduce the salt creep that happens when skimmers are overflowing and splashing water under the tank. Waiting a week or two for the skimmer to calm down motivates me to intervene. I have a ~150 gallon system generally this has only required 5 or less gallons of collecting skimmer overflow to get it under control.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to use a drain-free collection cup, then restricting the airflow into the skimmer to lower the amount of bubbles may allow you to manually fill and dump the cup a few times and accomplish the same goal. I have crimped or partially plugged intake hoses to achieve this. It is more labor-intensive but I would rather do this work and get the skimmer out of overflow mode quickly to reduce the salt creep that happens when skimmers are overflowing and splashing water under the tank. Waiting a week or two for the skimmer to calm down motivates me to intervene. I have a ~150 gallon system generally this has only required 5 or less gallons of collecting skimmer overflow to get it under control.
It appears to have worked! Thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back