Skimmer gone wild - Tank transfer

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I moved from a 40G to a new 85g this week. I have had the skimmer running for 2 weeks in a Rubbermaid with some dry rock, so it isn’t entirely brand new.

Once I added the skimmer to the sump, it has overflowed for 3 days straight. I have the plug pulled so it’s draining in the sump constantly. Anything I can do or is this a wait it out type deal?

Skimmer is an Aquamaxx coneS q-2. Running in 9” of water. I may try to raise it up if I can find something to put it on. The valve is wide open so it should be at its lowest point.

Anything else I should try?

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommended water level for this skimmer is 8", so 9" of water would definitely be too deep for this. Just find something temporarily to raise up the skimmer.

Also did you thoroughly clean the tank first before adding rocks+saltwater? Or did you use any type of epoxy putty or something similar for your rock scape? Sometimes this could result in your skimmer exploding and need to wait for it to break down or removed.

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The recommended water level for this skimmer is 8", so 9" of water would definitely be too deep for this. Just find something temporarily to raise up the skimmer.

Also did you thoroughly clean the tank first before adding rocks+saltwater? Or did you use any type of epoxy putty or something similar for your rock scape? Sometimes this could result in your skimmer exploding and need to wait for it to break down or removed.
Sand is brand new. Rock is transferred over but natural stacked so no epoxy. I’ll see if I can raise it up. Maybe some Tupperware.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved from a 40G to a new 85g this week. I have had the skimmer running for 2 weeks in a Rubbermaid with some dry rock, so it isn’t entirely brand new.

Once I added the skimmer to the sump, it has overflowed for 3 days straight. I have the plug pulled so it’s draining in the sump constantly. Anything I can do or is this a wait it out type deal?

Skimmer is an Aquamaxx coneS q-2. Running in 9” of water. I may try to raise it up if I can find something to put it on. The valve is wide open so it should be at its lowest point.

Anything else I should try?
Is it at the same height as the old system?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back