Skimmer gone wild - Tank transfer

  • Thread starter Thread starter ronnie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
2,844
Reaction score
688
Location
Northwest Arkansas
What state or country do you live in
Arkansas
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I moved from a 40G to a new 85g this week. I have had the skimmer running for 2 weeks in a Rubbermaid with some dry rock, so it isn’t entirely brand new.

Once I added the skimmer to the sump, it has overflowed for 3 days straight. I have the plug pulled so it’s draining in the sump constantly. Anything I can do or is this a wait it out type deal?

Skimmer is an Aquamaxx coneS q-2. Running in 9” of water. I may try to raise it up if I can find something to put it on. The valve is wide open so it should be at its lowest point.

Anything else I should try?
 
The recommended water level for this skimmer is 8", so 9" of water would definitely be too deep for this. Just find something temporarily to raise up the skimmer.

Also did you thoroughly clean the tank first before adding rocks+saltwater? Or did you use any type of epoxy putty or something similar for your rock scape? Sometimes this could result in your skimmer exploding and need to wait for it to break down or removed.
 
The recommended water level for this skimmer is 8", so 9" of water would definitely be too deep for this. Just find something temporarily to raise up the skimmer.

Also did you thoroughly clean the tank first before adding rocks+saltwater? Or did you use any type of epoxy putty or something similar for your rock scape? Sometimes this could result in your skimmer exploding and need to wait for it to break down or removed.
Sand is brand new. Rock is transferred over but natural stacked so no epoxy. I’ll see if I can raise it up. Maybe some Tupperware.
 
I moved from a 40G to a new 85g this week. I have had the skimmer running for 2 weeks in a Rubbermaid with some dry rock, so it isn’t entirely brand new.

Once I added the skimmer to the sump, it has overflowed for 3 days straight. I have the plug pulled so it’s draining in the sump constantly. Anything I can do or is this a wait it out type deal?

Skimmer is an Aquamaxx coneS q-2. Running in 9” of water. I may try to raise it up if I can find something to put it on. The valve is wide open so it should be at its lowest point.

Anything else I should try?
Is it at the same height as the old system?
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new