Skimmer help

MarkAshlee2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have been using my protein skimmer for a while now, yesterday I turned it off to empty the cup and clean the cup. I have put it back on and now for some reason the outlets are spewing millions of micro bubbles in my tank. I haven't changed anything apart from dosing reef ab+. Will it eventually stop doing this as I am worried it could harm my corals or fish. Thanks in advance

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it will stop, but for now dial back the water level to very low and dial the air back a bit as well so that you dont get overskimming.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this happens to me after i stop using my skimmer for even a few hours, especially after i dose aminos

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the air bubbles most likely wont hurt anything, but you dont want to get overproduction of skimmate which usually follows the excess bubble expulsion, at least imo

OP
OP
M

MarkAshlee2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the air bubbles most likely wont hurt anything, but you dont want to get overproduction of skimmate which usually follows the excess bubble expulsion, at least imo
Thanks a lot for your help, I will do that. I think I'll put it back on when the lights go out. Thank you

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best to put it on and leave it when you are gonna be around for a couple hours, it will take a bit of running time to stabilize and can overflow during, so just be careful, but if its in sump with a clean cup it will be just fine to run

OP
OP
M

MarkAshlee2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best to put it on and leave it when you are gonna be around for a couple hours, it will take a bit of running time to stabilize and can overflow during, so just be careful, but if its in sump with a clean cup it will be just fine to run
I haven't got a sump, I use a canister filter, but yesterday when I cleaned the skimmer I replaced my old canister filter for a fluval 307 canister filter, I rinsed my biological media in the tank water I took out for a water change and put it in the new filter. Its a hang on protein skimmer but its actually pretty decent. So like you my skimmer was off around a hour and half.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, definitely be near that protein skimmer when you turn it back on, usually over the next 45 min it usually figures itself out, but you def dont want water on your floor. Used a hob protein skimmer before but they are always more finicky than the in sump ones

OP
OP
M

MarkAshlee2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, definitely be near that protein skimmer when you turn it back on, usually over the next 45 min it usually figures itself out, but you def dont want water on your floor. Used a hob protein skimmer before but they are always more finicky than the in sump ones
OK I will, I'm going to switch it back on in a minute, hopefully it will sort itself out. Thanks mate

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back