Skimmer in cycling tank

Wezo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm on week 3 cycling, got a fluval skimmer which will cope with 200 litre..mines 120 litre. I'm struggling with the cup position. Right up high and no foam or anything but push it down very slightly 2 or 3mm and it fills with water. Is it because there's nothing to skim just yet? Takes about 20 mins to fill cup but doesn't overflow. Tia

Salt & Peper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers take a bit of time to find tune. As long as it's not over flowing let it run for a few days and then you should be able to dial it in. Hopefully someone with a more helpful answer will join in.

OP
OP
W

Wezo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers take a bit of time to find tune. As long as it's not over flowing let it run for a few days and then you should be able to dial it in. Hopefully someone with a more helpful answer will join in.
Thanks. Got 2 dancing shrimps in now and feeding so see what starts skimming this week.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Break in period of the skimmer! Had the same problem... Equipment has to build some kind of biological film. Nothing to worry about :) Skimmer will be up and running in a week or 2

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish in your tank? Remember that skimmers are mechanical filters and if you have nothing that produce waist is possible your tanks doesn't have quite much to filter yet.
During cycle you have a lot of chemical waist, but not mechanical.

OP
OP
W

Wezo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish in your tank? Remember that skimmers are mechanical filters and if you have nothing that produce waist is possible your tanks doesn't have quite much to filter yet.
During cycle you have a lot of chemical waist, but not mechanical.
I have 2 dancing shrimps and around 10 kilo of live rock. Tested last night and nitrite is zero and nitrate about 4 so looks like it's getting to its end. When I used milliputty for rockery the skimmer went crazy

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back