Skimmer in place of filter sock

Morpheus77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used a skimmer in place of a filter sock, just an idea I'm running in my head. Seems everything is good on my setup except surface gunk. Is gathers inside my AIO fijicube box, and just sits at the surface. I have an internal power filter in chamber two, with a sock in chamber one. You think this would work to remove surface scum as it comes in the intake?? Just an idea, I have plenty of surface movement inside display, just seems to collect in the corner where intake is, and in box.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running sockless with just a skimmer at the moment. Don't know that I'm following your other questions tho. Got a pic?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running sockless with just a skimmer at the moment. Don't know that I'm following your other questions tho. Got a pic?
I think they are talking about a surface skimmer and not a protein skimmer.
If so no a surface skimmer will not replace it, you can use a surface skimmer or add more surface agitation by using a powerhead which will disperse the stuff at the top so that it gets taken out by the filter socks

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back