Has anyone used these reusable filter socks from Amazon for Sump filtration?

thatpizzaguy5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I was looking for filter socks today and came across these reusable skimmer basket socks for pools. It’s just made of fine fleece it says and catches most everything. It might not be as fine as a usual filter sock, but you can get 50 for $15. In just wondering if you guys have ever tired them? I hate buying and rewasching socks, and until I get a fleece roller I was wondering if this might be an option? I was thinking just cut the sock off a sock ring and wrap these around the ring and use like normal socks. What do you guys think? Just looking for suggestions. Thanks!

IMG_8472.jpeg IMG_8473.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good find, keeps us updated.

I am wondering if the tops are elastic or have a drawstring?

I have been making my own socks for years. I use the plastic throw rings, so the sock to not fall down the holes.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are for a pool skimmer they most likely are a lot bigger than they look and you may get more than one out of each. I've been using reef diapers but these are way cheaper. I may buy a pack to try. I have a couple of media baskets and could put them in those and just put a rubber band around the top :thinking-face:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go link. I use the 4" ring and cut a notch out with wire clippers to thread in the draw string or in my case fold over part that I sew in.

OP
OP
T

thatpizzaguy5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats is the names of these

honestly at that price throw them out every 3 days.
its better that a fleece roller especially when you add cost into it
They are called Pool Skimmer Socks. Looks like you can get a 50 pack or 100 pack for pretty cheap. In the pics it looks like they might catch smaller particles. Looks just like a fleece rollers material. I’m going to try it out!

OP
OP
T

thatpizzaguy5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good find, keeps us updated.

I am wondering if the tops are elastic or have a drawstring?

I have been making my own socks for years. I use the plastic throw rings, so the sock to not fall down the holes.
I’m not sure honestly. I guess I’ll buy them and see, and update this thread. I just came across them when looking for cheaper socks, but these might be perfect. I’ll buy some and take pics when I get them!

OP
OP
T

thatpizzaguy5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to try these. They should fit a 4 inch holder well enough. Thanks @thatpizzaguy5150

Screenshot_20240122-111721.png

Edit: sorry I cropped the price. $10 for 40. I'll probably rinse them out in hot water and dry before using just as a precaution.
I’ll do the same. Rinse to be safe but they seem nice! Maybe it’s a good substitute to save us some money in this expensive hobby! We’ll see!

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used them on my pool for years...they won't catch fine debris. They are more like mesh filter socks so that won't perform like felt.

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would give this a go, I love the idea of less filter sock cleaning if I can.

I bought these from Amazon -

Screenshot_20240128_055917_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Naturally I dunked them all in water thinking it would just be a quick rinse, but immediately a milky white looking pollutant leached from them. I then washed them 4 times, soaked for 5 hours, washed another 4 times and then soaked for 8 hours, and right now they just had 2 more washes and are soaking again.

I'm going to give them a go very soon as the bucket water is now completely clear.

I suspect that the pollutant was either 'powderised' nylon material, or the remains of an oxidant powder used to make them snow white in colour.

I'll update with how it works out.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these disposables instead. I love them. Don't even want to bother with a fleece roller.

I've been using those since shortly after they came out. The owner is a sponsor here so that's a plus. I love them but am trying the pool skimmer socks to see how they work. I'm sure the pool filters will not filter nearly as well as the diapers due to the material but I'm OK with how mesh socks filter so if they are comparable I'm ok. I quit using felt socks a few years ago.

I rinsed the pool filters out in hot water. I didn't see anything come off and there was no strange odor so I decided to try them today. I just used a filter ring from the reef diapers and a rubber band. If they work I'll look for a better method. I'll post results here.
PXL_20240130_152313636.jpg
PXL_20240130_152459024.jpg
PXL_20240130_153105897.jpg

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very positive news, they work brilliantly and really polish the water. They catch so many particles, though, that I'm only getting 2 days out of them before they need changing, but I expect this to extend with time after the tank gets a little cleaner. I do plan on cleaning the socks and see how many cycles they can do before ripping etc. Great results so far.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back