Filter Socks???? Have I been wrong this whole time?

person

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have honey comb filter socks that i am going to use for my tank. I always thought that filter socks were used to put filter media in them, stuff like sponges, bio balls, and filtration stuff. but then i find out these are supposed to be kept empty and just catch debris from the tank. am i getting confused with some other product, or can i use filter socks for this like i said. or am i just going crazy????

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filter socks are empty, to catch debris and then be discarded. Other media are in my sump

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, they are to catch debris. You can use them however you like. Personally I dont put anything in them easier to clean that way. You can get media bags to house things like carbon, phosban, or a host of other medias.
I am not using filtersocks on my reef. I still use them on a couple fresh tanks I have. I do have a spot I can put some filter floss in my reef sump should I feel the water needs polishing. But once I put the skimmer online I feel I wont be doing that either. I like the Idea of the "food" being able to cycle through the system and not be largely filtered out once it leaves the tank. This requires enough flow to keep it suspended.

Last edited:

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were bacteria I would love a filter sock. So much surface area to grow on and my food is brought right to me all day every day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back