Filter Socks???? Have I been wrong this whole time?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BiggF!sh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BiggF!sh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2022
Messages
153
Reaction score
63
Location
Somewhere
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have honey comb filter socks that i am going to use for my tank. I always thought that filter socks were used to put filter media in them, stuff like sponges, bio balls, and filtration stuff. but then i find out these are supposed to be kept empty and just catch debris from the tank. am i getting confused with some other product, or can i use filter socks for this like i said. or am i just going crazy????
 
My filter socks are empty, to catch debris and then be discarded. Other media are in my sump
 
Use them however you want, with a little thought first. I don't use them at all.

I use mine to hold lose nuts and aquarium fittings. They have not been in the tank in over a decade.
 
Typically, they are to catch debris. You can use them however you like. Personally I dont put anything in them easier to clean that way. You can get media bags to house things like carbon, phosban, or a host of other medias.
I am not using filtersocks on my reef. I still use them on a couple fresh tanks I have. I do have a spot I can put some filter floss in my reef sump should I feel the water needs polishing. But once I put the skimmer online I feel I wont be doing that either. I like the Idea of the "food" being able to cycle through the system and not be largely filtered out once it leaves the tank. This requires enough flow to keep it suspended.
 
Last edited:
My sock periodically will hold a bag of carbon or phosguard at the bottom.
 
If I were bacteria I would love a filter sock. So much surface area to grow on and my food is brought right to me all day every day.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new