Neoprene Foam in tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter zbrusko
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

zbrusko

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2023
Messages
468
Reaction score
255
Location
CT
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this question makes sense!

I am looking to make a stand/frame to add a poly filter "wall" in the sump of my cichlid tank to essentially replace my socks. The hope is to have a small sump chamber to catch baby cichlids while still providing solid mechanical filtration that will not clog the sponges I use as my bio filter. I realize this is not a saltwater aquarium, but the premise is likely the same. I am working with an engineer friend, and we are (he is!) probably going to be laser-cutting sheets of acrylic to sandwich a 12x12 mat of poly filter (or perhaps a cheaper floss, though the poly-filter is firm and may hold up better in the frame). We may or may not change this to a 3D -printed design. In either case, I am looking for something to cushion/seal the side area between the floss frame and the sump wall. The whole frame needs to come out, so I will not seal it with silicone. Would something like this work? Is it aquarium safe? Am I better off getting one without adhesive and using known aquarium-safe super glue? Plans are still in the works, so just trying to sort out a few details. Thanks! I hope this question makes sense!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new