Skimmer Mod to Increase Output

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across a modification yesterday that can be preformed on needle wheel style pumps. I have a Coralife Super Skimmer 220 and was about to junk it because it didn't produce skim-mate like I thought it should. After a bit of research I found a thread showing a "mesh mod." Its extremely simple to perform and actually created many more micro bubbles in my skimmer neck, which in turn started lifting the foam up and out of the neck and into the collection cup. If you Google "skimmer mesh mod" it returns tons of results. Here is the way I did my mod:

1) Remove the needle wheel impeller from your pump according you your specific pumps directions.
2) Cut about 2ft or more of strong fishing line from your reel.
3) Tie one end of the line to one of the "needle" spokes, preferably as close to the base as possible.
4) Begin to weave the line through all the spokes trying to create a web like appearance with the fishing line. Try and make it tight without pulling the spokes out of alignment.
5) Once you are satisfied with your web design tie off the loose end securely to any post ensuring it isn't left loose.
6) Reassemble your pump according to your manufactures instruction.
7) Connect pump back up to skimmer and turn on.
8) Enjoy increased skimmer output!

Lionheart513

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So being from a not so bright guy meaning me. Is there a way u can make a video if that's k cus I would love to do that to mine. I'm tired of udjusting it n crap n it overflows out of the blue.please n thank u :)

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352991268.026997.jpg

Here is a generic photo I pulled from the internet. This is what my needle wheel impeller looks like, however I weaved a more thorough web through my spokes. Your skimmers impeller could be completely different from mine. The great thing about this mod is its completely reversible if you don't like it.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this with my old coralife 125, but not with fishing line. It was more like a black mesh. I think I put too much on it, because once I set it back into the pump it didnt spin correctly. I might try the fishing line and see how it operates on my 10 gallon or something.

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see the actual "mesh" mod but that entails cutting the spokes and sewing the black mesh onto the center post with fishing line. This one I found was extremely easy and didn't require any cutting of the actual impeller. I chose this because it was completely reversible if I didn't like it.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to thread jack but i love to idea of modding a skimmer. I have a tunze 9002 and because of this thread did a quick google search. Found a mod i am going to try...

[video=youtube;t80cE7eBiHg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t80cE7eBiHg[/video]

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to know more mods for my skimmers. I am going to do the mesh mod (once I get fishing line) and if anyone else has other good mods please share them :). It would be awesome if we had enough info to make this thread a sticky!

Sent from tapatalk

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to thread jack but i love to idea of modding a skimmer. I have a tunze 9002 and because of this thread did a quick google search. Found a mod i am going to try...

[video=youtube;t80cE7eBiHg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t80cE7eBiHg[/video]

This worked well. I did it when I had a nano.

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to know more mods for my skimmers. I am going to do the mesh mod (once I get fishing line) and if anyone else has other good mods please share them :). It would be awesome if we had enough info to make this thread a sticky!

Sent from tapatalk

I couldn't agree more Loki! I was seriously about to pull the trigger on a new skimmer when I came across this mod. It totally changed my position on wanting something new. With 30 min of time and a few feet of fishing line I was able to get more production from a "lower end" skimmer.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back