Skimmer not skimming…

ollzzz12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a tunzee 9001DC. For the last couple days it’s barely producing any skim. I checked and it’s not even really bubbling. Air pipe isn’t kinked so not sure why it’s not bubbling

I’ve posted my last parameters, nitrate is extremely low, could this be there’s nothing to skim meaning no bubbles? IMG_8012.png

Attachments

• IMG_8037.mov
    31.1 MB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a tunzee 9001DC. For the last couple days it’s barely producing any skim. I checked and it’s not even really bubbling. Air pipe isn’t kinked so not sure why it’s not bubbling

I’ve posted my last parameters, nitrate is extremely low, could this be there’s nothing to skim meaning no bubbles? IMG_8012.png
If not bubbling you need to open it up. Where air meets water in the housing you can end up with a buildup.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not bubbling you need to open it up. Where air meets water in the housing you can end up with a buildup.
Yup try cleaning the venturi. May be organics are low too. Not really up on the ratings of these it may be oversized to the tank size and there for not able to work properly.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use any Silicone Lube on anything in the Aquarium? This includes Aquarium Safe Silicone Lube. The Silicone Lube, will shut down a Ventura Skimmer.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Dc model have a separate air valve that is adjustable? If so make sure it’s fully open, you may have the skimmer set too high up in the tank from the water line, also check the inside that the air line is still attached to the pump.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Dc model have a separate air valve that is adjustable? If so make sure it’s fully open, you may have the skimmer set too high up in the tank from the water line, also check the inside that the air line is still attached to the pump.
This brings up a good point! Was it ever working? How long have you had it? I just assumed it was working at one point. You know assuming and what that does right? I do it all the time though.

OP
OP
ollzzz12

ollzzz12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brings up a good point! Was it ever working? How long have you had it? I just assumed it was working at one point. You know assuming and what that does right? I do it all the time though.
Yeah been running 3 months. Always had a very wet skim but I assume that’s because my system is low nutrients, worked fine. I believe it may be a blockage in air pipe from what else I’ve read online

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah been running 3 months. Always had a very wet skim but I assume that’s because my system is low nutrients, worked fine. I believe it may be a blockage in air pipe from what else I’ve read online
Had mine running for maybe 3 weeks now, only just started quietening down, you will always get a wet skim as the height from the surface of the water, where the bubbles start forming to the top of the neck of the collection cup is just too short to get dry skim, skim will be drier the longer length/time it has to drain the moisture off.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s usually a blockage but as others mentions things that increase the surface tension of the water will do it too. Things like silicone, chemiclean, etc.

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s bubbling below, it may very well just be low organics, and it can skim again in a day or so.
I’ve had that before.
Sometimes upping the air intake helps that too.

Other options can be what you’re feeding the tank?
Mysis unthawed stop my Skimmer for a few hours.
And another option, sometimes if there’s some slim or whatever on the bottom of the collection cup it can stop it foaming.
And rinsing the cup can fix that..

Your Nitrates are quite low, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just low organics, which is totally fine

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back