Skimmer not working right

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just took it off and nothing happend with the bubble. The skimmer got very loud when I took it off.
Ok so worth a try. Put it back on. That's your silencer.
You can try cleaning out the venturi but I doubt that will help-tank is too new.
What's your salinity?

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so worth a try. Put it back on. That's your silencer.
You can try cleaning out the venturi but I doubt that will help-tank is too new.
What's your salinity?
I have a buddy who came to check out the skimmer 2 weeks ago and he took it apart and could not figure it out. He said it was clean. I will test salinity now.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really just curious.
If it was too low it could make a difference in bubble size.
My guess is not enough to skim out.
You can look online if there's a good way to adjust it but if I were you I'd shut it down for a week,feed,do what you do like normal then fire it up and see what it does. Tank is so new it won't hurt.
See if that makes a difference.
If not, we'll revisit and go over options.
You can PM me so we don't take up too much of anyone else's time if you want.
Joel

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 359 G2. It is rated for this tank and I think even a tank bigger.
I can't find that skimmer, the red sea 350 g2 though is a reef tank, the skimmer maybe to big especially for the light bio load

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find that skimmer, the red sea 350 g2 though is a reef tank, the skimmer maybe to big especially for the light bio load
Oh I thought you meant what tank. I think k is is the Red Sea 300 skimmer

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the height of the water in and around the skimmer body? Hard to tell from the picture but the water level looks low.
I think the water level is fine. The ato keep the water level alway the same. I can’t change that. Why would that be a problem? Everything is under water.

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the water level is fine. The ato keep the water level alway the same. I can’t change that. Why would that be a problem? Everything is under water.
There should be a sticker on the acrylic stem with the “+/-“ adjustment knob (that’s the water gate - effectively how much water is allowed to enter the skimmer body)
The sticker tells you the proper level the water should be for the skimmer to properly work.

Do you have the new version of skimmer with the ReefRun controller and DC pump or the older AC pump version?
If you have the DC pump, turn up the pump and play with the settings.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I thought you meant what tank. I think k is is the Red Sea 300 skimmer
That skimmer is rated for 225 gallon light bio load , 75 gallon heavy bio load. There is not enough organic material for it to skim properly. The water level is recommended 6 to 8 inches.. Skimmer looks to deep in the sump. Try a stand to get it up so it's only in 7 inches of water.
IMG_20230904_213046220.jpg

August

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some skimmers need to be at higher or lower water levels when they are meant for an internal sump. You may have a movable wall in your sump that will allow you to raise the level in the skimmer chamber which would be independent from the ATO area. Your bubble line in the skimmer should be at the bottom of the collection cup for a more wet skimming. You can adjust pump pressure, the valve that lets water out of the skimmer, or the water level inside the skimmer chamber to get those results. (It seems like when you are using just one or two of those adjustments, you aren't getting the volume you need inside the skimmer)

Your setup seems to be on the very light side for a bio load. I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of skimmate which would be able to come off of your skimmer. If you are using filter socks, filter fleece, or a mat to pre-filter the water, then there might not be a lot left over for your skimmer to do. Protein skimmers are mechanical filters, just like your socks, fleece, and mats are mechanical filters.

I think your skimmer is probably a needlewheel skimmer more then venturi especially if you are getting very small and fine bubbles. Most needlewheel skimmers are "wine bottle" shape and have reduced turbulance inside of the skimmer body which help to keep them relatively shorter to true venturi skimmers. You probably will not need to use your skimmer until you have more corals and larger fish in your tank. Your skimmer might actually be lowering your pH in your tank. you can test this by examining your pH readings with it running vs with it off. If you are under 8, then I would remove the skimmer all together from your system.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey arnold nicksplat GIF

The Venturi
(red cone that the air hose feeds into in your 3rd picture ) is either plugged or the pump is not pulling in enough water to make the skimmer work properly.
The lack of a bubble storm inside the skimmer is obvious in the pictures you posted

A new skimmer might have a piece of plastic flashing inside the air intake or the hole is partially blocked to prevent enough air from entering and mixing with the water to create the storm that makes a skimmer work.

Otherwise the pump is not working properly? A damaged impeller (broken blades or defective drive magnet, something that prevents smooth movement to get the water flowing through and pulling in air?

Maybe it was not reassembled properly?

Or it’s just a defective unit? Take it apart or take it to the lfs and get someone to troubleshoot it so you know what is wrong. It should be making a fraction of some foam after 4 months, even with a light load algae, food, fecal pellets and detritus would make some bubbles exit the cup if it was pulling water and air properly.

Take it to the fish shop and put it on one of their tanks and let them decide if it’s working or not.
Hth. :cool:

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a sticker on the acrylic stem with the “+/-“ adjustment knob (that’s the water gate - effectively how much water is allowed to enter the skimmer body)
The sticker tells you the proper level the water should be for the skimmer to properly work.

Do you have the new version of skimmer with the ReefRun controller and DC pump or the older AC pump version?
If you have the DC pump, turn up the pump and play with the settings.
I do not have the new one. I have played with the adjustment knob and the bubble do not change.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer is rated for 225 gallon light bio load , 75 gallon heavy bio load. There is not enough organic material for it to skim properly. The water level is recommended 6 to 8 inches.. Skimmer looks to deep in the sump. Try a stand to get it up so it's only in 7 inches of water.
IMG_20230904_213046220.jpg
Ok I might have to try that

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some skimmers need to be at higher or lower water levels when they are meant for an internal sump. You may have a movable wall in your sump that will allow you to raise the level in the skimmer chamber which would be independent from the ATO area. Your bubble line in the skimmer should be at the bottom of the collection cup for a more wet skimming. You can adjust pump pressure, the valve that lets water out of the skimmer, or the water level inside the skimmer chamber to get those results. (It seems like when you are using just one or two of those adjustments, you aren't getting the volume you need inside the skimmer)

Your setup seems to be on the very light side for a bio load. I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of skimmate which would be able to come off of your skimmer. If you are using filter socks, filter fleece, or a mat to pre-filter the water, then there might not be a lot left over for your skimmer to do. Protein skimmers are mechanical filters, just like your socks, fleece, and mats are mechanical filters.

I think your skimmer is probably a needlewheel skimmer more then venturi especially if you are getting very small and fine bubbles. Most needlewheel skimmers are "wine bottle" shape and have reduced turbulance inside of the skimmer body which help to keep them relatively shorter to true venturi skimmers. You probably will not need to use your skimmer until you have more corals and larger fish in your tank. Your skimmer might actually be lowering your pH in your tank. you can test this by examining your pH readings with it running vs with it off. If you are under 8, then I would remove the skimmer all together from your system.
I turned off my skimmer and will turn it back on in about a week. I will test pH. Why would that go down?

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey arnold nicksplat GIF

The Venturi
(red cone that the air hose feeds into in your 3rd picture ) is either plugged or the pump is not pulling in enough water to make the skimmer work properly.
The lack of a bubble storm inside the skimmer is obvious in the pictures you posted

A new skimmer might have a piece of plastic flashing inside the air intake or the hole is partially blocked to prevent enough air from entering and mixing with the water to create the storm that makes a skimmer work.

Otherwise the pump is not working properly? A damaged impeller (broken blades or defective drive magnet, something that prevents smooth movement to get the water flowing through and pulling in air?

Maybe it was not reassembled properly?

Or it’s just a defective unit? Take it apart or take it to the lfs and get someone to troubleshoot it so you know what is wrong. It should be making a fraction of some foam after 4 months, even with a light load algae, food, fecal pellets and detritus would make some bubbles exit the cup if it was pulling water and air properly.

Take it to the fish shop and put it on one of their tanks and let them decide if it’s working or not.
Hth. :cool:
Thanks for the help. I had a buddy from the fish store come look at is 2 weeks ago and could not figure out what was wrong with it. I am thinking or replacing it. Are there any other good brands that make a skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back