Skimmer opinions wanted

  • Thread starter Thread starter JBradford
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JBradford

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 28, 2016
Messages
214
Reaction score
193
Location
Tulsa, OK
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an AMS skimmer that I got used with my 90 mixed reef. The pimp is going out and im crippling it by till after Christmas.

So my option:
-replace the pump for about $120
-replace skimmer with ReefOcto for about $230
-replace with another option in $250 price range

Originally wanted to fix current skimmer but then for $100 i have a brand new piece of equipment that i know the history of.

Opinions? Thanks for the input.
 
Tough choice. But if the skimmer works well with the new pump, id save that 100$ for something else. Hanna checker or a ph probe. More food.

I like to sell the used while it still has value too.
 
I currently have an AMS skimmer that I got used with my 90 mixed reef. The pimp is going out and im crippling it by till after Christmas.

So my option:
-replace the pump for about $120
-replace skimmer with ReefOcto for about $230
-replace with another option in $250 price range

Originally wanted to fix current skimmer but then for $100 i have a brand new piece of equipment that i know the history of.

Opinions? Thanks for the input.

It almost always makes sense to fix the skimmer if it's a decent performer....and ASM's are definitely that.

If you can, I'd start by replacing the impeller – usually the part that breaks/wears, and it's usually cheap.

Even if you have to replace the pump, then that's still basically a brand new skimmer for you....the plastics of the body really don't wear out.

Keep the old skimmer and save the $130 difference for something else.
 
Thats been my plan this whole time but then i got a wild hair up my butt and started lookinh at new ones. So i thought id ask.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new