Skimmer overflowed and nutrients decreased?

Skippy The Meh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2023
Messages
333
Reaction score
233
Location
Portland, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i accidentally put my skimmer into feed mode instead of turning it off and dosed flucanozol, so i came home from work to my sump looking like a bubble bath and the skimmer cup flushed back into tank. I assumed my nutrients would spike, i did water tests to see how bad the damage was and to my surprise they were lower than before. Tank is 120 G capacity. Any reason why the addition of skimmate to the water column would decrease nutrients? I did notice an uptick in all algae. So possibly consumed? Or maybe bacteria in skimmate chewed through nutrients? Any ideas?
 
So i accidentally put my skimmer into feed mode instead of turning it off and dosed flucanozol, so i came home from work to my sump looking like a bubble bath and the skimmer cup flushed back into tank. I assumed my nutrients would spike, i did water tests to see how bad the damage was and to my surprise they were lower than before. Tank is 120 G capacity. Any reason why the addition of skimmate to the water column would decrease nutrients? I did notice an uptick in all algae. So possibly consumed? Or maybe bacteria in skimmate chewed through nutrients? Any ideas?
What did you test? What brand of test?
 
It sounds odd. Maybe testing error ? How big was the difference ?
Heres my logs of tests and tank maintenance. I dont test nitrates very frequently they typically stay at 15 ppm and phosphate is typically rock solid at .03-.05 unless my gfo starts to wear down.
4/20 (bottom right) is tests from after skimmer overflowed.
IMG_0303.jpeg
IMG_0304.jpeg
 
What did you test? What brand of test?
Day of i tested everything. (Tank logs above) i use a hannah marine master photometer. I also do monthly icp tests to make sure my hannah is within an acceptable margin of error.
 
Day of i tested everything. (Tank logs above) i use a hannah marine master photometer. I also do monthly icp tests to make sure my hannah is within an acceptable margin of error.

Based on your records, the nitrate level could declined before the skimmer incident. By the way, the 4/13 measurement precision is higher. Did you use a different test?
 
Day of i tested everything. (Tank logs above) i use a hannah marine master photometer. I also do monthly icp tests to make sure my hannah is within an acceptable margin of error.

Based on your records, the nitrate level could declined before the skimmer incident. By the way, the 4/13 measurement precision is higher. Did you use a different test?
Nope, same test, what makes you say its higher precision? That day it was a but high so i replaced my reactor media.
 
I’m not sure if it is a generally significant effect, but adding surfactants and getting increased skimmate can pull other organics into the overflow and thereby possibly reduce N and P.
 
So i accidentally put my skimmer into feed mode instead of turning it off and dosed flucanozol, so i came home from work to my sump looking like a bubble bath and the skimmer cup flushed back into tank. I assumed my nutrients would spike, i did water tests to see how bad the damage was and to my surprise they were lower than before. Tank is 120 G capacity. Any reason why the addition of skimmate to the water column would decrease nutrients? I did notice an uptick in all algae. So possibly consumed? Or maybe bacteria in skimmate chewed through nutrients? Any ideas?
Have you considered that all the nutrients are in the skimmit foam in your sump and will rise as it mixes back into the water table?
 
So i accidentally put my skimmer into feed mode instead of turning it off and dosed flucanozol, so i came home from work to my sump looking like a bubble bath and the skimmer cup flushed back into tank. I assumed my nutrients would spike, i did water tests to see how bad the damage was and to my surprise they were lower than before. Tank is 120 G capacity. Any reason why the addition of skimmate to the water column would decrease nutrients? I did notice an uptick in all algae. So possibly consumed? Or maybe bacteria in skimmate chewed through nutrients? Any ideas?
Have you considered that all the nutrients are in the skimmit foam in your sump and will rise as it mixes back into the water table?
By the time i got home im pretty sure it was well mixed in and had been for a while. The tank was cloudy. Also i run moderate to high flow through the sump- about 2000 gph - so it likely mixed in pretty quickly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new