Skimmer Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sweegin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sweegin

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 13, 2024
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Parkland County
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my skimmer is the reef octopus SSS-3000 int. It is not bubbling and I took apart and checked everything and cleaned the plastic disc etc and nothing is broke. Put back together and still nothing. Any suggestions is my pump no good? My skimmer is about 8 years old and I have never had issues until now. I have taken all apart and cleaned it and also pour boiling hot water down the Venturi tube and what sits in there and does not drain but there is defiantly nothing blocking inside the tube. is my skimmer toast?

Any help would be great!
 
my skimmer is the reef octopus SSS-3000 int. It is not bubbling and I took apart and checked everything and cleaned the plastic disc etc and nothing is broke. Put back together and still nothing. Any suggestions is my pump no good? My skimmer is about 8 years old and I have never had issues until now. I have taken all apart and cleaned it and also pour boiling hot water down the Venturi tube and what sits in there and does not drain but there is defiantly nothing blocking inside the tube. is my skimmer toast?

Any help would be great!
Have you washed the venturi in acid?
 
Upvote 0
my skimmer is the reef octopus SSS-3000 int. It is not bubbling and I took apart and checked everything and cleaned the plastic disc etc and nothing is broke. Put back together and still nothing. Any suggestions is my pump no good? My skimmer is about 8 years old and I have never had issues until now. I have taken all apart and cleaned it and also pour boiling hot water down the Venturi tube and what sits in there and does not drain but there is defiantly nothing blocking inside the tube. is my skimmer toast?

Any help would be great!
Blow thru the tube from the muffler to the pump - Often that gets clogged
 
Upvote 0
I just tried blowing through the muffler but, no air is moving and feels like I am going to blow a vessel lol
Thats the issue- Its blocked. Take the tube off and clear the other end with a toothpick
 
Upvote 0
Thats the issue- Its blocked. Take the tube off and clear the other end with a toothpick
thanks for you help. I took a toothpick and chips away but, was strong enough so I used a little screw driver and then the piece broke way and I was able to blow through it. Put in my sump and plugged it in and it is working like new. Is there something that a person should be doing to prevent this? I have heard to put a skimmer in a vinegar/water solution and run it for 24 hours in a tub but, not sure how that keeps the Venturi clear.
 
Upvote 0
thanks for you help. I took a toothpick and chips away but, was strong enough so I used a little screw driver and then the piece broke way and I was able to blow through it. Put in my sump and plugged it in and it is working like new. Is there something that a person should be doing to prevent this? I have heard to put a skimmer in a vinegar/water solution and run it for 24 hours in a tub but, not sure how that keeps the Venturi clear.
Check it periodically. I sold these units at my LFS and found out the hard way. Glad to hear, back in business.
 
Upvote 0
Check it periodically. I sold these units at my LFS and found out the hard way. Glad to hear, back in business.
@VG nicely done
1727032576640.png
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new