Skimmer Pump Doesn't Work When Air Introduced

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hurgoth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Hurgoth

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 28, 2024
Messages
32
Reaction score
21
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vertex Omega 130 that's been working like a champ. Noticed yesterday that it wasn't producing bubbles. I took it out and cleaned it, check air lines, etc.

When running fully submerged with no air the pump works fine. When air is introduced the pump stutters and hardly works, with noticeable vibration. I checked the shaft and all seems to be ok. Also tried a different air line to rule out any unseen issues.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
 
I have a Vertex Omega 130 that's been working like a champ. Noticed yesterday that it wasn't producing bubbles. I took it out and cleaned it, check air lines, etc.

When running fully submerged with no air the pump works fine. When air is introduced the pump stutters and hardly works, with noticeable vibration. I checked the shaft and all seems to be ok. Also tried a different air line to rule out any unseen issues.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Maybe something stuck in the venturi valve. In case you aren’t familiar with the mechanics, there is actually some cool physics involved in our skimmer bubble creation that is not just adding an airline to a pump. Typically a venturi valve is involved which creates the pressure needed for our high velocity fine bubble stream. This creates a pinch point where you could get a clog.

1728609994985.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new