Skimmer question

broskie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after setting up my tank my skimmer was pulling some serious gunk out of the water for a the first 2 days. Then after 3 days the water is crystal clear and the skimmer is just filling up with clear water maybe a little dirty but not like it was. Is there something wrong or is there just nothing to skim in the water?

I have 48 pounds of live rock along with 50+ pounds of live sand straight from another memebers tank. The tank has been up and going for 3 days and has a high turnover rate with my Mag 12. The tank is a 57g with a 20g tall sump and and octopus 110 or 150 I beleive. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your never gonna skim the water completly if you think you have try a piece of filter floss in the sump where the baffles are you will notice dirt rite away... Just set the water level down lower and let it dry skim for a couple days and see what happens... The skimmer needs to break in before it will run constant..

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
troylee, I couldn't have said it better myself.

broskie,
Your skimmer will typically need to be tweaked to maximize output. Some skimmers need to be tinkered with more than others. Mine goes from fully open on the output control valves to fully "closed" in a week. I clean out the skimmer cup on Sat and then open it back up.
Also with the octo make sure you keep the air nozzle and the air tubing cleaned out. When I had mine I checked it and cleaned at least monthly.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back