Skimmer question

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hey guys, I am new to the forum and the hobby (well saltwater/reef), and I am setting up my 20g long nano tank. I am still waiting on my HOB refugium and tunze LED refugium light but I have went ahead and got everything else together as well as sand, rock, and filling the tank. I did give my Protein Skimmer a vinegar bath so hopefully it will break in a little sooner than if I didn't but I am curious about something. So I know that during the break in they will output microbubbles into the tank, but the bubbles aren't coming from the output. Rather they are coming from the side of the casing which concerns me that I may have a faulty unit. Is this something that will stop once the "bio-film" is coated or should I be putting in a dispute to BRS? Its the Tunze DOC 9004 Skimmer.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this skimmer without issue. How long has the skimmer been in use?
Have you tried repositioning the pump, is it connected correctly.
Tunze has pretty prompt CS.
There is a water line on the housing, is that where it should be?

OP
OP
Trylobyte

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this skimmer without issue. How long has the skimmer been in use?
Have you tried repositioning the pump, is it connected correctly.
Tunze has pretty prompt CS.
There is a water line on the housing, is that where it should be?

As far as I know, it is installed properly and heightened to the correct water level I believe with the marking. I followed the manual and a couple videos step by step. It is a newer tank and I just started it today, I am expecting to see the microbubbles but they are not coming out of the bottom (output) they are literally coming from the seams of the case. I've made sure the front cover is on correctly (snapped in) but I was just wondering if this is a faulty seam or if it will cease when the bio-film takes hold.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to see a defect in the housing if that was the case.
I would take the pump out of the housing and reconnect and see if that helps.
Give it a day and then contact Tunze.
If bubbles are raising in the chamber it is probably a break in issue. No bubbles raising into chamber is probably a pump connection issue. Of course inspect housing again. I have had about 5 Tunze nano skimmers, never had an issue. Tunze does have good customer service though.

OP
OP
Trylobyte

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I will definitely take a look at the pump and inspect the housing while doing so. I was hoping it would just be a break in issue just wanted to make sure I didn't have a faulty unit or something. Thanks Tahoe61!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back