Skimmer question

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reef tanks here. Currently building a 40b/20l sump reef. My question is on the reliability on Icecap skimmers. Looking at either the K1-100 or K1-130. Or what would you guys suggest. Also looking at RO 110SSS, Eshopps x-120 or bubble magus curve 5. Looking for something at about $250 and below

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan at all of icecap skimmers and dont know have experience with the Eshops. I like RO, but not their classic. I borrowed one recently from LFS when my skimmer broke recently and was very underwhelmed.

In the price range you are looking i would recommend looking at the Simplicity 120 or 240. Either are big enough for a 40B and come with a controllable pump the 240 is close in price to the RO you are looking at and well oversized for a 40B and could easily be used on a tank 3 times that size if you upgrade in the future. Not high end namebrand skimmer, but good value in my experience.

OP
OP
N

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan at all of icecap skimmers and dont know have experience with the Eshops. I like RO, but not their classic. I borrowed one recently from LFS when my skimmer broke recently and was very underwhelmed.

In the price range you are looking i would recommend looking at the Simplicity 120 or 240. Either are big enough for a 40B and come with a controllable pump the 240 is close in price to the RO you are looking at and well oversized for a 40B and could easily be used on a tank 3 times that size if you upgrade in the future. Not high end namebrand skimmer, but good value in my experience.

Saw a lot of good reviews on the Simplicity 120. So far really considering it also looks pretty nice. Thank you for the recommendation

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Simplicity and it was a decent skimmer. I would also recommend the Coral Box D300+. I am using one on my 40B and have been very impressed. I LOVE that it comes with a float switch for the skimmer cup. It has saved my tank from having all that gunk dumped back in more than once.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Simplicity and it was a decent skimmer. I would also recommend the Coral Box D300+. I am using one on my 40B and have been very impressed. I LOVE that it comes with a float switch for the skimmer cup. It has saved my tank from having all that gunk dumped back in more than once.

If only someone had a switch that prevented my clumsy self from dumping the cup in tank when i remove it ☹️

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back