Skimmer Recommendation For 130 gal

  • Thread starter Thread starter saber2th
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I bought a Reef Octopus 200INT for my 125 gallon. I oversized the skimmer since I plan to carbon dose at some point, and I've read where folks had wished they'd oversized their skimmer before carbon dosing.
 
I'm not going to recommend a skimmer, but I am going to recommend not using a standard 55 as a sump. It's very narrow and also very tall if it's going under a typical stand. It may actually prevent you from being able to use some of the great recommendations you're receiving. Not suggesting it can't be done but in my opinion, it's an avoidable potential problem.

I'm only speaking from personal experience as I am currently planning my way out of a 55g sump!!!
 
^^ I would tend to agree as well. you dont want your sump too tall or access will be an issue. gotta remember to plan your clearance for getting the skimmer in and out to clean it.

A 40B, might be a better choice
 
I'm not going to recommend a skimmer, but I am going to recommend not using a standard 55 as a sump. It's very narrow and also very tall if it's going under a typical stand. It may actually prevent you from being able to use some of the great recommendations you're receiving. Not suggesting it can't be done but in my opinion, it's an avoidable potential problem.

I'm only speaking from personal experience as I am currently planning my way out of a 55g sump!!!

Not going with a standard 55. I have a guy that is going to build me a custom glass sump. I'm thinking of going with this size as I would like a decent sized refugium. The measurements I'm thinking are, 48 x 18x 16 (LxWxH). What are your thought on this? And thanks for the great input on the sump everyone!
 
Not going with a standard 55. I have a guy that is going to build me a custom glass sump. I'm thinking of going with this size as I would like a decent sized refugium. The measurements I'm thinking are, 48 x 18x 16 (LxWxH). What are your thought on this? And thanks for the great input on the sump everyone!

That sounds like a great option. It's actually the exact dimensions of the one I've designed for myself, so I have to say it's perfect!!!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new