Skimmer recommendations for a 45g

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure there are a ton of threads like this but I didn’t come across one that was newer that was relevant to my tank size. I have a 45g that I’ve been ignoring for a few years and have finally decided to get it going. I haven’t been to active in the hobby for the last few years so I’m sure there are a lot of options out there that I’m not aware of. It’ll be a mixed reef, probably sps heavy.

My first thought was to go with a Deltec but the $500 price tag is a bit more than I’d like to spend. I was thinking around $300 would be more like it. I’m sure there will be plenty of great deals to be had next month so I might be able to get more bang for my buck then.

The somatic 60 crossed my mind but I hear they could be a bit loud and being right next to my living room couch I’d rather something a little more quiet. I would very much appreciate any suggestions, thanks in advance.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure there are a ton of threads like this but I didn’t come across one that was newer that was relevant to my tank size. I have a 45g that I’ve been ignoring for a few years and have finally decided to get it going. I haven’t been to active in the hobby for the last few years so I’m sure there are a lot of options out there that I’m not aware of. It’ll be a mixed reef, probably sps heavy.

My first thought was to go with a Deltec but the $500 price tag is a bit more than I’d like to spend. I was thinking around $300 would be more like it. I’m sure there will be plenty of great deals to be had next month so I might be able to get more bang for my buck then.

The somatic 60 crossed my mind but I hear they could be a bit loud and being right next to my living room couch I’d rather something a little more quiet. I would very much appreciate any suggestions, thanks in advance.

That NYOS 120 is supposed to be a great skimmer, but their around $400

Always loved the Deltec MC500 too.
https://battlecorals.com/products/mc500

:)

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice discount on a new skimmer. I’ll have to look into that one. Thanks.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the Deltec I was thinking along the lines of the 600i or ix. The mc500 reminds me or a hob skimmer.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the Deltec I was thinking along the lines of the 600i or ix. The mc500 reminds me or a hob skimmer.
Well,
That NYOS won't be there long, but it's your call.

Looks like they beefed up the MC500 and could be overkill.

(lol)
You said the $300 dollar range. So I tried to hit your $

:)

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, it’s a definitely a good deal. I’m supposed to be in the research phase not the purchasing phase so I need approval from the wife before I can proceed. The fact that we are going to Disney next month doesn’t help my case though. I might end up having to pass on it.

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the NYOS 120 and love it on my Waterbox 45.2. Easy to dial in and pulls lots of skimmate. My tank has 4 fish and lps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back