Skimmer Recommendations for the Fluval 13.5?

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I think it is about time I get a protein skimmer for my fluval 13.5 tank. I am looking to get recommendations for the best skimmer that will fit in the first chamber of the back filtration area, the dimensions are about 3.5in x 3.5in x 8.75in. I am basically looking for a skimmer that is fairly quiet (the quieter the better) and is also effective. Those are basically my only 2 asks in a skimmer for the tank. I have just been having a hard time finding skimmers that will fit the tank but is still quiet and effective.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have too many choices, I’ve looked into this and the 2 that keep coming up as the best options are the Tunze 9001 and the IM ghost skimmer.

ClearLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cad Light PLS-50 skimmer is 3.25 X 3.5 X 14
not a bad skimmer but takes time to dial it in.

The Fluval PS2 Mini skimmer
3.0 X 3.0 X 10

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask why do you believe that you need a skimmer in such a small nano?

Typically, regular water changes and some detritus removal are all that's needed in a small nano aquarium. A skimmer might be of help if you were dead-set on a really high bioload, but then you have the maintenance, taking up of space and noise to contend with.

Just something to think about...

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Typically, regular water changes and some detritus removal are all that's needed in a small nano aquarium. A skimmer might be of help if you were dead-set on a really high bioload, but then you have the maintenance, taking up of space and noise to contend with.

Well I have been doing 20% water changes each week for about 3 months now and I am running carbon, gfo, and filter floss, but there is still the occasional detritus buildup and I am getting what looks to be the start of hair algae on the back wall. I think I just need another way of nutrient export (might be overkill). I am ok with a bit of noise and space isn't a big deal to me at all in the 1st chamber as long as the skimmer fits.

I was either thinking a skimmer or a diy chaeto reactor. Which way of nutrient export would you personally choose?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been doing 20% water changes each week for about 3 months now and I am running carbon, gfo, and filter floss, but there is still the occasional detritus buildup and I am getting what looks to be the start of hair algae on the back wall. I think I just need another way of nutrient export (might be overkill). I am ok with a bit of noise and space isn't a big deal to me at all in the 1st chamber as long as the skimmer fits.

The best ways to deal with detritus build up are:

1. Use a turkey baster to first blow it off the rocks and then vacuum the sand bed (if you have one)

and/or

2. Kick up the detritus into the water column and use floss in a chamber or a filter sock on the return nozzle. Then clean/replace floss or clean the sock and replace.

The back wall can be scraped before the detritus removal with an old credit card (or similar) and the biofilm/algae caught in the floss or sock.

Algae can be controlled, but not eliminated, with an appropriate cleanup crew and reasonably low nutrient levels.

I was either thinking a skimmer or a diy chaeto reactor. Which way of nutrient export would you personally choose?

For a nano tank, neither (IMO/IME, unnecessary complexity). These types of nutrient export methods lend themselves to much larger systems where water changes are much less frequent due to the cost of salt and the increased effort required to change relatively large volumes of water.

I've been maintaining a 12g nano for 12 years with just live rock/live sand for filtration, 10%/week water changes and some weekly detritus removal. Most successful long-lived small nanos follow a simple methodology.

Last edited:

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do 50% changes is you need to on a tank that small.You would be better off with a continuous water change setup using a DOS or vectra if you have the space. Skimmers arent very effective at that size.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And excellent thoughtful advice

Back