Skimmer, Return Pump (and possibly wave maker)

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am looking to order in a skimmer and return pump for my WB Reef 100.3. I don’t think I need any additional circulation until the tank has cycled (would take advice on that) but I was thinking of the following, I need as much research last night as I could before my eyes slowly shut:

Skimmer - Nyos 120 (Please let me know your thoughts on this, it is recommended by WB for the tank and the reviews I have read have all been positive, it’s also meant to be nice and quiet)

Return Pump - Vectra S2 (Now what I was not clear on here is if this pump came with the controller also? Or if this was just pump only? Although this is recommended for the tank I am wondering if I should go larger and then scale back the power? I would love to hear your thoughts)

Wave Maker - MP40’s - (These will come a little later down the line unless you think I would benefit from on during the cycling stage. I have also seen those longer wave makes, not sure of the name. Again, I would love to hear your thoughts.)

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Vectra S1, so for the 100g go with the M1 so you can adjust down. It is VERY controllable, I like the fact you can calibrate it for your piping. It has a feed mode where it turns down to a trickle, then ramps back up after 10 minutes.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Vectra S1, so for the 100g go with the M1 so you can adjust down. It is VERY controllable, I like the fact you can calibrate it for your piping. It has a feed mode where it turns down to a trickle, then ramps back up after 10 minutes.

I have the S1 on my Reefer 250 and love it. Phil is correct and you should consider the M2 (it replaced the M1). Definitely calibrate it when you setup the pump, there is a video on their website showing you how to do it.

Also I use the feed mode every day and it works perfectly.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump up to the 160 if it will fit. Performance numbers on the 120 were lower than stated. I run a 160 in mine, 88 gallon total. Love it.

Go with the M2. They do come with controllers, its easier to spend a couple extra bucks and dial it back then to have to replace the whole pump because the flow is low.

MP's vs Gyre is a loaded question, were all half and half for fan boys and girls. Both will do the job without issue.
Just like the apex/ghl debate.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was shopping for mine I was going to go with a 120, then seen reviews that it was under rated on its performance, seen nothing negative on the 160 performance.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never used the NYOS 120 but I have close friends that do and I've heard good things about it. MP40s are top notch.
I just installed the Vectra S2 on a Red Sea Reefer 350.

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the Vectra S2 on a Red Sea Reefer 350.

How do you like it? I'm looking at that return pump for my 125 gallon aquarium's sump that's probably going to have 5-6ft of head pressure. I've heard nothing but good things, and I'm pretty enticed by the compatibility to a battery backup system...

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you like it? I'm looking at that return pump for my 125 gallon aquarium's sump that's probably going to have 5-6ft of head pressure. I've heard nothing but good things, and I'm pretty enticed by the compatibility to a battery backup system...

I think for a 125 the S2 a little too small - I would go for the M2. But these are strong reliable, silent pumps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back