Skimmer size

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a 240 gallon tank I currently have a reef octopus 150 int looking to upgrade to the 250 or 300 int witch one would be better looking to stock this tank heave

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rule of thumb is to go +1 on a skimmer. That is you want a skimmer with more capacity then your tank size and fish load requires. For a 240 gallon that might be a skimmer rated at 300 gallons. The problem is that skimmer manufacturers seem to over rate their skimmers. Maybe they mean a tank of that size with a light load. Bulk Reef Supply usually gives their opinion on the capacity of the skimmers they sell and they sell a pretty complete line of Reef Octopus Skimmers.

Currently BRS only seems to be carrying Regal Reef Octopus Internal Skimmers (I hope I got that right). Even the 200 would probably be fine just not for a heavy bio load. The 250 would be better but it is out of stock. The 300 would be more than ample. Of the three, the 250 might be the best bet.

I have an old Super Reef Octopus 5000 (well for 500 gallons, I guess) on a 300 gallon tank and it works really well.

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rule of thumb is to go +1 on a skimmer. That is you want a skimmer with more capacity then your tank size and fish load requires. For a 240 gallon that might be a skimmer rated at 300 gallons. The problem is that skimmer manufacturers seem to over rate their skimmers. Maybe they mean a tank of that size with a light load. Bulk Reef Supply usually gives their opinion on the capacity of the skimmers they sell and they sell a pretty complete line of Reef Octopus Skimmers.

Currently BRS only seems to be carrying Regal Reef Octopus Internal Skimmers (I hope I got that right). Even the 200 would probably be fine just not for a heavy bio load. The 250 would be better but it is out of stock. The 300 would be more than ample. Of the three, the 250 might be the best bet.

I have an old Super Reef Octopus 5000 (well for 500 gallons, I guess) on a 300 gallon tank and it works really well.
I was thinking of going with the 300int because it’s rated for 350 gallons heavy bio load and I wanna stock this tank heavy and I have a sting ray that’s a messy eater and the waste he puts out

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back