Skimmer still overflowing

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I will have to do another water change this weekend. Carbon and emptying the cup twice a day doesn't seem to be doing it. I also took the skimmer apart and cleaned it. All that reef epoxies doing! :p

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several globs, fairly large. Also treated for flatworms the two weeks previous which also caused it to go crazy. Did water changes after the flatworm meds and had the skimmer happy again. Then glued in 5 or so pieces of coral in with a good bit of coraline reef epoxy and it's still going nuts 5 days later.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of skimmer is it? I have a bubble magus and it goes "crazy" for no reason every once in a while. It will be fine for months then all of a sudden decide to over flow. It does a great job when it is working right but I am thinking of replacing it with an ASM G3. I have one of those on my 220 and it has been trouble free for years!

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an Eshopps 120 cone. The water feels slimy too. The coral all look good and the fish seem to be doing well. I am doing a water change tomorrow, hopefully that clears it up.

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound absolutly stupid but I learned when I went against every one 's advice years ago and got an off brand skimmer, that sometimes the internal connections may come loose during cleaning , thus screwing up the air to water ratio. If its off it could be what's causing you collection cup problems . For example one time my air intake hose came loose from the barb on the inside of the skimmer and all I would get is ridiculously watered down skimate. good luck

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the water being slimy has to do with the treatments you've been applying. This changes the surface tension of the water and hence effects the skimmer's ability. The same thing happened to me when I treated my tank for ich with herbtana. Once the substance gets removed or used up your skimmer will be back online.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my water change today and swapped out the carbon. Skimmer is skimming again woot.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a little bit with all that stuff in there, but it's dialed in now and pulling out some serious gunk. Curious what my phosphates are running now.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back