Tuning New Protein Skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter itsTD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

itsTD

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2025
Messages
20
Reaction score
4
Location
Peoria
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am trying to tune my new in sump protein skimmer. Reading the instructions, I’m doing everything that is asks (sump water height 7”-9”, internal skimmer water height at the neck of skimmer, etc). After 72 hours of running, the skimmer is still producing way too much foam, and I have it currently overflowing back into the sump. (Directions said to keep collection cup drain valve open while skimmer is being tuned). My question is, is this normal? If so, how long until I stop seeing so much extra foam and it starts to stabilize and I can close the drain valve and start to get some good skimmate? Thanks in advance!
 
im sure every tank/skimmer is different in how long it takes to stabilize. I had a reef
octopus skimmer that took almost a week to settle in. I don't think there is a straight forward
answer. just keep an eye on it and it will eventually settle in.
 
Which skimmer is it? Maybe someone has the same one and can give your specifics.
 
Which skimmer is it? Maybe someone has the same one and can give your specifics.
It’s the Reef 120 by IOAOI. Newer skimmer on the market but has been tested by a lot of reefers on this website and have had a lot of positive reviews and feedback
 
Try reducing the air intake some so it's producing less bubbles, then after a day or two, slowly open the air more and more until it stabilizes.
 
Try reducing the air intake some so it's producing less bubbles, then after a day or two, slowly open the air more and more until it stabilizes.
I’ll try that, thanks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new