Skimmer suggestions for 120 gal system

Lionsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really struggling to pick a skimmer for my new system (120 gal total water volume).

I've never had an in-sump skimmer before. I'm currently running a HOB skimmer on my 40 gal tank.

I've been reading as many reviews as I can but still question which features are most important plus when looking at reviews you can always find negative reviews on every skimmer out there.

I was ready to order a Nyos 160 but having second thoughts and thinking I should spend a bit more on either a Bubble King mini 160 or a Deltec 1000 series?

What is everyone's thoughts on what features are important and why? I'm thinking I would like to buy a Davy Jones' skimmate locker so are all skimmers compatible? How important is having a self cleaning neck? I've seen reviews where I can add the Swabbie retrofit from Avast Marine to the Nyos 160 and not sure if others can be modified.

Should I buy a skimmer that has a dc pump with variable speed control?

Is there really much difference in noise or reliability between a BBK mini 160 and the Nyos skimmer for example to justify the cost?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

OP
OP
L

Lionsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your suggestions. I did search last night and found the bubble king can be connected to a skimmate locker as well as the swabbie wiper system.

Are you worried about having a controller because of reliability or just because of the temptation to keep changing the settings?

Are there others with experience with either the Bubble King or Nyos line of skimmers that can comment as to why I should buy one or the other?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back