• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

skimmer that fits a nuvo 20

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a small skimmer that will fit my older model nuvo 20. For some reason I cant get mine to bubble when I turn the knob of move the collection up and down. The /pump/motor appears to be working so i guess I just need a new one! Not very savvy on these things being a woman! lol I live in Fl

jsargent1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Is there an airline connected to the pump? Have you taken the pump apart to see if anything is stopping it from spinning/tested it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is an airline because I see something running up the side that encased and I usually spin the knob to change the amount of bubbles. When I do that now it dosnt bubble much at all!

Truthfully I have never cleaned it in 2 years and bought it used! lol. I am now giving it a bath in a bucket of citric acid and rodi water. Hopefully that will do the trick! Any other suggestions if it dosnt work?

Hasnt been working for about a year now but I am beginning to wonder if I had something under it to lift it and I may have removed it! My memory sucks lol Seems no matter what height I have it at (holding it in my hands) it dosnt seem to change anything!

jsargent1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Sounds likes your airline is just clogged unless the pump isn’t spinning. You can take the pump and put in the bowl full of water and plug it in to see if it’s working.
I don’t think the height of it in the water would effect the bubble making abilities of the pump, but it will effect how wet or dry your skim is
There should be a model number and pump brand on the pump itself, if it’s not working I’m sure a replacement pump is easy to find and readily available :)

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds likes your airline is just clogged unless the pump isn’t spinning. You can take the pump and put in the bowl full of water and plug it in to see if it’s working.
I don’t think the height of it in the water would effect the bubble making abilities of the pump, but it will effect how wet or dry your skim is
There should be a model number and pump brand on the pump itself, if it’s not working I’m sure a replacement pump is easy to find and readily available :)
I am a dummy! lol Its sitting in citric acid and bubbling pretty good. I think that is the problem How can I clean the skinny airline if it isnt the problem?

I have never cleaned pump for return either in both tanks! It been running for 4 years in my bigger tank and I noticed the flow dosnt seem as strong as it used to! I wish I had the time to reuse this water and put all my stuff in it! I can save the water right? I only have a small amout of citric acid left ATM

My big skimmer barely works either but I think it because I need an ato. Santa is bringing me one! lol Soon as I get it skimming and the water level changes it stops. then when I put water back at what I think was the right height in sump it wont skim. Constanly having to adjust it!

jsargent1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
I honestly would go to the pet store and get some airline and replace it, if it’s clogged but dang!
4 years?! lol I feel like I notice a difference in flow after a few months lol
An auto top off should definitely help stabilize your skimmer but it also sounds like you may have it a little too high in the water to start off with.
There isn’t really a set depth for skimmers to run but The two things you need to look for is that the pump is covered with at the minimum, 1″ of water above the highest point on the pump and second is that the water level in the sump is below the water outlet pipe on the skimmer.
Citric acid will lose it ability to clean the longer it sits because it’s constantly reacting with what’s in the water. But a 5lb bag is like $22 on Amazon and should last you forever. 3 tablespoons per quart.

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly would go to the pet store and get some airline and replace it, if it’s clogged but dang!
4 years?! lol I feel like I notice a difference in flow after a few months lol
An auto top off should definitely help stabilize your skimmer but it also sounds like you may have it a little too high in the water to start off with.
There isn’t really a set depth for skimmers to run but The two things you need to look for is that the pump is covered with at the minimum, 1″ of water above the highest point on the pump and second is that the water level in the sump is below the water outlet pipe on the skimmer.
Citric acid will lose it ability to clean the longer it sits because it’s constantly reacting with what’s in the water. But a 5lb bag is like $22 on Amazon and should last you forever. 3 tablespoons per quart.
Its skimming now! YAY! It just needed a citric acid bath! One thing really strange is my water level in the back chamber of my aio is always getting crazy low like there is a leak but there is never water on the counter. I keep putting in rodi and lowering the salinty. Then I mix up some saltwater in a small batch and put some back. Then the returns start blasting out the heavily salted water that I added. Not good. I guess next time I need to unplug it and mix it all up real good in the back.

Another thing is now the skimmer is shocking the hell out of me when I put hands in water! Which is very odd because it was plugged in the whole time but just wasnt skimming! I dont get how my fish and corals arent being electrocuted!

I have my biggger tank skimming better since I moved the pump up higher! I was going to clean it but coulnt get it loose so was waiting for hubby to help and in the mean time I put it back in higher and notice a big difference!

I have always been sacred of atos mainly flooding my tanks! Its small sump so cant flood my tile floor to bad! I was going to start using kalkwasser too so really scary. I am going to get a back up flush valve I think you call it. The thing like whats in the toliet.

The float valve on BRS have bad review though! The other redundancy method had bad reviews too! I cant afford a tunze osimalator especially for small tanks either and the fact I need two. OOUCH! lol. I spent to much on corals lately lol The nano one has bad reviews too. Its not made like the big boy!

Any advice on a good ato thats not an arm and a leg! LOL I was thinking the one brs recomends for people on a budget. Its kind of a dyi but dosnt seem to hard for hubby to do! I think its rated better then the cheaper reefbreeders ect

Jake Bookout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a small skimmer that will fit my older model nuvo 20. For some reason I cant get mine to bubble when I turn the knob of move the collection up and down. The /pump/motor appears to be working so i guess I just need a new one! Not very savvy on these things being a woman! lol I live in Fl
I have one that I believe might fit

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back