Skimmer Too Big?!? 120g new reef tank

Trevor Paden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231119_233926.jpg
I have a 120-gallon tank with a 30-gallon sump and a 200int skimmer, set up for about 35 days. I've introduced live rock, sand, and media from my other tanks. Currently housing a Redsea sailfin tang, a black molly, and a Bangai cardinal. Planning to add more fish later. Considering putting my skimmer on a timer, but concerned about potential pH swings due to low nutrients. Any advice on what to do, given the skimmer isn't getting enough nutrients at the moment?

(Picture was taken when nutrients were higher 3 hours after installation. Also the skimmer was used, but I cleaned it)

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio balls. I haven't seen those not even in my pond groups in a while. My cat plays with one I had from like 15 years ago. I would fish them all out so you have access to your equipment. I don't think there is such thing as a skimmer that is too big. I mean, it won't always be full but it will function. Your skimmer is half the size of mine and I have a 90 gallon with a 37 gallon sump. However you don't tell us what brand or make it is so how should we know? That power strip is more tipsy than my uncle at Thanksgiving.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how nutrients and pH are mixed. pH is going to mostly be a product of the co2 in the air in your home... and if you use any high pH additives like limewater. I don't know how you can over skim... the gas exchange, removal of heavy metals and organic toxins are just too important, IMO.

Bioballs are not any different than the ceramic media or other things that people use for surface area to house bacteria... especially underwater.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how nutrients and pH are mixed. pH is going to mostly be a product of the co2 in the air in your home... and if you use any high pH additives like limewater. I don't know how you can over skim... the gas exchange, removal of heavy metals and organic toxins are just too important, IMO.

Bioballs are not any different than the ceramic media or other things that people use for surface area to house bacteria... especially underwater.
No slam on the bio balls. They work great.
Maybe just thought they're a little in the way is all.

OP
OP
Trevor Paden

Trevor Paden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio balls. I haven't seen those not even in my pond groups in a while. My cat plays with one I had from like 15 years ago. I would fish them all out so you have access to your equipment. I don't think there is such thing as a skimmer that is too big. I mean, it won't always be full but it will function. Your skimmer is half the size of mine and I have a 90 gallon with a 37 gallon sump. However you don't tell us what brand or make it is so how should we know? That power strip is more tipsy than my uncle at Thanksgiving.
Lol the powerhead powersupply is definitely tipsy, but I assure you it is screwed onto the wood. As far as my skimmer I did specify the 200int classic though I forgot to mention it is reef octopus. Ac motor. As far as bio balls, I used them for my freshwater tank so I threw them in. I mean I know matrix would be better, but I am on a tight budget. (I know my equipment my not look like it, but it was all broken at some point and I repaired it).

OP
OP
Trevor Paden

Trevor Paden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't use kalkwasser or any ph supplements yet. I am using all for reef. Of course, if anything gets out of balance I will correct it.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol the powerhead powersupply is definitely tipsy, but I assure you it is screwed onto the wood. As far as my skimmer I did specify the 200int classic though I forgot to mention it is reef octopus. Ac motor. As far as bio balls, I used them for my freshwater tank so I threw them in. I mean I know matrix would be better, but I am on a tight budget. (I know my equipment my not look like it, but it was all broken at some point and I repaired it).
They work well in freshwater. For sure. But you are constantly going to be bobbing for apples in there. I don't think you need matrix or anything else in that sump. Looks like plenty of media. Unlike my uncle your power strip probably won't punch out your dad and end up in jail.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has or had the Reef Octopus Regal 150 for 375 I believe.
Your fish could be housed in your skimmer cup.
Cheaper yet and just as fun a Simplicity 240 DC skimmer.
I do believe that you can have a too big of a skimmer.
I have the RO Regal 200 skimmer and a 120 tank I use the Simplicity 240 DC, I do love the RO Regal 150 though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back