Skimmer troubles!

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’ve been having trouble with my skimmer for the last 2 months! It’s a bubble Magnus curve 5 elite. It doesn’t matter what the water level is, even an inch it will end up over flowing. For the first 2 weeks it worked great, not I can’t even get more then 5-6 hours out of it.

I’ve pulled it fully apart and cleaned with viniger with no luck.

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably have already considered these things, but...
Have you added any chemicals (treatments etc) to the tank?
Are you using brand new filter socks that you havent washed first?
That model is supposed to work best in 9.5"-11" of water. What depth are you running it in?

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- no chemicals

- no filter socks

- doesn’t matter the water level, just over flows. Could be an inch, could be 10 inches.

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a possibility
That can cause some issues for sure.
May also be worth a quick check to see that the red airline connection from the bottom of the small cylinder down to the grey fitting at the bottom is all connected and that that smaller cylinder isnt full of water.

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the silencer (small cylinder) is empty and clean. It’s still makes great bubbles. But just over flows. I know if I plug the line it just fills up with water

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the silencer (small cylinder) is empty and clean. It’s still makes great bubbles. But just over flows. I know if I plug the line it just fills up with water
Have you tried shaking it angrily? :)

How old is the system?
Does the level change as you adjust it or is always full tilt overflow? Are you able to turn it down 'too low'?

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the silencer and air lines to the venturi are probably okay, especially if it is overflowing with foam.
Is the drain port obstructed?

If the drain port is wide open and unobstructed and you're still foaming over, I would just let it run wide open for some days and see if it doesn't settle in. You can open the drain plug in the bottom of the collection cup and just let it drain back into your sump. Especially since youve just cleaned it all out I would just let it go; IME a super clean skimmer doesnt seem to work like a slightly dirty one does. Ive seen many a skimmer be finicky when they are shiny, clean, new and in a relatively new system.

You could also try running some carbon on the off chance that there is something in the water making the skimmer go nuts.

Do you see any other things that seem off in the system?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This was very similar to my eshopps s300 when it was new and it took it 60 days to break in. I used a like a lid from my five gallon jugs and place it 1/4 to 1/2 over where the water pump sucks the water in. Turn your skimmer wide open and it will bubble like crazy and if you have the drain hose just let it drain. As it bubbles like crazy take that lid and the suction from the pump will hold it on. Slide it where the bubbles just reach the top of the overflow cup but don’t spill over. It may take a day or two but that’s what worked for me and lol it came from a tech support from bubble magnas. I wasn’t paying attention and called the wrong one. But it has always worked and when I did get a hold of eshopps well lol they said the same thing.
On the flip side if your getting no bubbles turn the skimmer (or you used new filter socks) some have been so thick nothing gets through and so I get no bubbles but pure water. If that’s the case close the skimmer and just let the over flow drain stay open. Make sure the skimmer is clean, it will eventually make a ton of bubbles.
Hope this helps.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you describe sounds like there is a surfactant in the water. It does not take very much of this chemical to produce very stable foam and skimmer overflow. The time between introduction of the surfactant and excessive skimmer foam is short. This could make your investigation into the source a little easier.

Water change and skimming out the surfactant might be your only options. You might try doing water changes by wet skimming, letting the skimmer overflow and collecting gallons of water everyday as @Sarah24! suggested.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back