Skimmer tuned?

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a clear plastic tubing to lift it up. Got it tuned in right between the bottom blue ring and the bottom of the cups oring is. Just worried if it will over flow. I don't think it Will. Pic below.. I know my ph is way low so running it all night should raise it by morning hopefully.
1531281230276454751248.jpg

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a clear plastic tubing to lift it up. Got it tuned in right between the bottom blue ring and the bottom of the cups oring is. Just worried if it will over flow. I don't think it Will. Pic below.. I know my ph is way low so running it all night should raise it by morning hopefully.
1531281230276454751248.jpg
I've had the cup over flow 3 times this week so I turned it off at night and when at work. Now my ph is low.
Hope the cup doesn't fill up when I'm asleep.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would raise it up some more. It will still aerate your water and raise your PH. I would also route the overflow tube back to the tank for now. That stuff came from the tank and it wont hurt to dump it back if it starts overflowing some.

When it starts working right you will have clear water at the bottom of the column where the water exits back to the tank into the grey tube. Once you see that lower it some to get it dialed in.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would raise it up some more. It will still aerate your water and raise your PH. I would also route the overflow tube back to the tank for now. That stuff came from the tank and it wont hurt to dump it back if it starts overflowing some.

When it starts working right you will have clear water at the bottom of the column where the water exits back to the tank into the grey tube. Once you see that lower it some to get it dialed in.
I'm going after work to get a longer tubing. So I can run the over flow tubing to my basement drain that runs to the sewer. Won't shuve it down but just enough that it will run into it. At the beginning of the slope.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some skimmers are really fussy about how deep they sit in the water of the sump. Are you running an auto top off system or are you doing it manually? That could be part of the issue.

I just sold a complete system and I don't mind saying I'm glad to be rid of the skimmer and the auto top off. The floats on the auto top off didn't always work and the skimmer would quit doing any skimming at all. And I had to turn the skimmer off after feeding the tank because it would go crazy and even overflow the remote collection tank (1 gallon).

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some skimmers are really fussy about how deep they sit in the water of the sump. Are you running an auto top off system or are you doing it manually? That could be part of the issue.

I just sold a complete system and I don't mind saying I'm glad to be rid of the skimmer and the auto top off. The floats on the auto top off didn't always work and the skimmer would quit doing any skimming at all. And I had to turn the skimmer off after feeding the tank because it would go crazy and even overflow the remote collection tank (1 gallon).
I do the top off manually. the skimmer I got a clear hose and cut about 5 inches off and folded it in half and put it under the HOB skimmer. I have the over flow hose running to the tank if it over flows it will go into the tank hopefully. and with feeding It hasn't gone crazy with that yet. I am just fine tuning it to get that sweet spot again. since I had the over flow out take hose the end of it with a stopper. I took that off and the lid to the cup had plastic on it. I also took that off. so now I'm just trying to find that sweet spot. now I'm just running the skimmer to try to get the PH back up. tested it last night and the color wasn't even on the test strip. (tetra test strips). tried the API test and the color wasn't even on the test chart. did both again this morning and it is now at 7.4 PPM. so it's getting back up there. I will eventually be running the air intake to the outside. I'm gonna do that when I get new central air and just sneek the hose in there when they replace the wires and anything else. it will be easier that way. that should raise my PH up even more hopefully.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back