Skimmer upgrade

Compguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard nothing but good things about the MSX250, I recently purchased the MSX Cone the Mini and it works excellent, I also have a Bubble King cone skimmer coming, whenever they finally make it here, for my new frag tank. But the MSX works excellent, mine came with an already spare empeller that was mesh modded. Rob is a great guy too.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically you would be going from an 8" body and a single Sicce to a 10" body and dual Sicce pumps.

What is your bioload like? I am a fan of running a large skimmer, but found that if the skimmer is to large then it isn't always working. A large skimmer will pull out gunk for a day or two then the production drastically decreases, where as if you have a "right sized" skimmer, the production should remain constant.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of running a large skimmer, but found that if the skimmer is to large then it isn't always working. A large skimmer will pull out gunk for a day or two then the production drastically decreases, where as if you have a "right sized" skimmer, the production should remain constant.

I'll second that, the skimmer on my 40 breeder is rated at 350 gallons

OP
OP
Pizzapro83

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon tank 55 gallon frag tank and 30 gallon sump. Is the 250MSK to big?

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would stay with what you have and spend that cash on some new chalice frags!

Here is my reasoning, I think that a skimmer with a single Sicce 2500 is good for tank volumes up to about 200 gallons. I think 2 Sicces are good for 200-400 gallons.

Now, unfortunately I don't have any science to back up my gut feeling, other then reading the boards and my observations of my tank and those of other locals.

Is there a reason you were considering a larger skimmer?

OP
OP
Pizzapro83

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not putting out a good head of foam. I just raised it out of the water 4 inches so we will see how that goes

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! That is a BIG change, it will have to have some effect. I'd say give it 24 hours at least to see what happens.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back