Skimmer upgrade

Neil Drury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 + year old see clone skimmer. I need to upgrade. I have a 40 breeder with a 20 long fuge. I'm thinking about the ice cap k2-50. Anyone have one? Thoughts,concerns?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that one, but most modern skimmers are pretty good at what they do, and I think the Ice Cap brand has a good reputation. Skimmers are becoming like led fixtures, most of them make good light and it becomes a matter of how much you want to pay and what features you want included. Most skimmers skim OK, but there are more and more features being added to them all the time!

If you are interested in suggestions, I have a 40g cube with a 40g sump/refugium and I bought a Coral Box D300 skimmer from Reef Breeders for just over $200 and it's worked very well. I love the overflow alarm (which rarely go off) and the variable feeding delay with 3 different delays before it turns back on. When I feed some foods or additives that make a skimmer go crazy, I can stop the skimmer and have it start up on it's own later (up to 50 minutes later).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back