OP
OP
cherokee_dude

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually skim unless I'm feeding since I feed a mix that includes cyclopeze and do not want the smaller food to be skimmed out right away. Also, when my return pump is off I'd only be skimming my sump anyhow...
Can someone with a shorter cycle chime in? Do you have need a nutrient rich system to support your inhabitants? or are there other factors to keep in mind?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not really a point to run a skimmer if you turn it off for extended periods of time. Everytime you turn it off, you kill the foam head, and everything that's settled right on top of it that eventually makes it into the collection cup (it takes quite a while!) is then dropped back into the water column when you turn it off.

"Overskimming" = underfeeding IMHO/IME. There's no such thing as too much feeding assuming you don't have food collecting on the substrate (everything should go into a fish or corals mouth) and you can effectively export the nutirents you're imorting. If you think your overskimming, feed more! Your fish, coral and overall system will be much healthier, and your skimmer will remain happy and skim-kim-zala-zim away!

mheaven

Still on the prowl...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn it off at night when i add the Brightwell supplements. Off for about 5 hours.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always feeding, therefore I'm always skimming :D

kgehrke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine constantly but I sometimes wonder if I'm over skimming.

rroselavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn my return off when I feed so my food doesn't get sucked down into the sump and rot in a corner. My skimmer is turned off during this period since the water level changes when my return is off.

Does no one here turn their return off when feeding?

kgehrke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off my return when I spot feed. I turn my skimmer off sometimes when I feed. Depends on my attitude that day I guess. Ha.

livingstone

Dan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Got me thinking. I only shut down for collection cup cleaning and for water changes (because the pump will run dry) but maybe I should consider shutting down during feeding times. Thanks for bringing this up.

OP
OP
cherokee_dude

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are people not concerned about skimming out smaller foods they just put into their tanks? Maybe it's just me... But why keep it running at feeding time?

livingstone

Dan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to be convinced. It just seems like skimming away good food is a waste of money.

Convinced of what? Convinced that you're wrong for wanting to turn your skimmer off during feeding times? I don't believe anyone is saying that at all. I think it's a good idea and I've been turning it off for a few minutes for feeding, if it's convenient to do so (and I'm not going to forget it's off). I say, go for it!

OP
OP
cherokee_dude

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are people not concerned about skimming out smaller foods they just put into their tanks? Maybe it's just me... But why keep it running at feeding time?

I really need to be convinced. It just seems like skimming away good food is a waste of money.

Convinced of what? Convinced that you're wrong for wanting to turn your skimmer off during feeding times? I don't believe anyone is saying that at all. I think it's a good idea and I've been turning it off for a few minutes for feeding, if it's convenient to do so (and I'm not going to forget it's off). I say, go for it!

The question was right there??? :confused: I am hoping to be convinced that I'm doing what makes the most sense... or not, hence the reason for the thread.

Personally, I do think it's a good idea and that is what I do. But if it's a good idea, why in the heck do the vast majority of people not do it?
Is it inconvenient? Am I completely wrong for being concerned that food is being skimmed out immediately? Is it so that the skimmer doesn't lose efficiency?

There are a few posts here that suggest a few of these things, but not much debate about the 'Why', which is what I'm curious about.

Psychographic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is programmed to stay off 1 hr after the pump goes back on when feeding. I have my controller programmed to shut off for 4 different time lengths depending on what I am feeding. 15 min. 30 min. 45 min. and 1 hour.

If the skimmer kicks back on with the return pump it goes into hyperdrive and overflows, having it set for a 1 hour delay keeps it running perfectly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back