skimmer with outside air hose ?Hi

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so now to boost my pH I would either get the CO2 scrubber pellets to remove CO2 at my skimmer air inlet. Or cheaper, get a hose leading to outside air. One thing tho, if I attached a 20' air hose to my skimmer wouldn't there be a restriction produced from all that tubing? Causing skimmer performance issues?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You'll have to get a little creative in the delivery since ideally you don't want to alter the air pressure at the skimmer pump one way or the other. An air pump inside a filter box located in the garage pumping air close to the skimmer's inlet would be something like the right idea.

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a empty gallon jug next to the skimmer with one hose from the jug to the skimmer and the other feeding it with air from out my window? The jug would serve as a buffer chamber so the skimmer is pulling in air from a larger space. Would that work?

tat2z_21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cheaper version would to just open a window for about 10 minutes and let the oxygen levels go back up.

tat2z_21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with running your line outside could be possibility of your neighbors spraying pesticides, or a bug can climb into it.

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The window idea is not enough. Basement apartment with no control on heat. If its off, its off. So at -40 outside I can't just air out the apt.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a empty gallon jug next to the skimmer with one hose from the jug to the skimmer and the other feeding it with air from out my window? The jug would serve as a buffer chamber so the skimmer is pulling in air from a larger space. Would that work?

Definitely worth a try! I would want some kind of filter box around the air pump too...wouldn't have to be too fancy

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you use a much bigger hose leading outside it work and fix it to the skimmer and I'd get screen to put over it to keep anything going into the skimmer that's unwanted but if its a rented property make sure there is nobody spaying pesticides around the property

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.7-8.0 unless all windows are wide open. I can get 8.3. I could live with that. But, I'm changing from 2-part to my reactor. So it will be even worse. I'm gonna do some experiments then. Thanks.

Last edited:

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 scrubber is a GREAT way to go. I too live in an apartment and it's hard to keep a window open. I bought a CO2 scrubber from BRS, had to modify the tubing because the one that comes with the kit is to small, also changed out the elbow so everything is 3/8". I have a flow meter hooked up and it does restrict the flow but I still get the same amount of bubbles, size and amount. It may be that your putting in better quality air, just a guess. I've got a 180 gallon an a gallon of the color changing media last about 3-4 months. Depending on if I'm able to open the doors and windows. My pH use to be 7.9'ish dipping down at night to the lower limits of healthy but now I'm 8-8.4 depending on how the media is holding out. Will make your skimmer run quite also....
And the elbow that's open to air I just took off for better air flow...

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes the skimmer quieter. Can't we just straight pipe the skimmer into the scrubber reactor? That might reduce restrictions.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you use a much bigger hose leading outside it work and fix it to the skimmer and I'd get screen to put over it to keep anything going into the skimmer that's unwanted but if its a rented property make sure there is nobody spaying pesticides around the property

+1, use a bigger tube than your skimmer line. Depending on the size of the skimmer a 1/2" or 3/4" vinyl hose from home depot can flow a great deal of air. I use 3 containers with mine. Hard pvc goes from window into a 5g bucket, from there tubing goes into smaller containers with carbon and soda lime. I have added more, but my build thread has a photo in there somewhere.

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes the skimmer quieter. Can't we just straight pipe the skimmer into the scrubber reactor? That might reduce restrictions.

Remember a C02 scrubber only scrubbs the air that your skimmer is pulling in through the vinture. No water passes through the scrubber. So essitiunally it's stright piped into the scrubber....

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the skimmer air intake, minus the silencer device. To reduce restrictions. The CO2 media should muffle the hissing IMO.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done both CO2 scrubber and outside line. After trying both I prefer the outside line. I use a larger hose than my skimmer air inlet tube, and I hooked it up to a BRS cartridge that I fill with carbon so the air is filtered through the carbon. I change carbon once a month versus changing CO2 scrubber media once a week. And the carbon is much cheaper too. Raised my Ph by at least 0.15. Skimmer produces nice skimmate too.

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done both CO2 scrubber and outside line. After trying both I prefer the outside line. I use a larger hose than my skimmer air inlet tube, and I hooked it up to a BRS cartridge that I fill with carbon so the air is filtered through the carbon. I change carbon once a month versus changing CO2 scrubber media once a week. And the carbon is much cheaper too. Raised my Ph by at least 0.15. Skimmer produces nice skimmate too.
How long was that hose ?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must say that running a hose outside, or even using a CO2 scrubber, made very little difference to my tank's pH. I'd argue that if either of these approaches do make a material difference, gas exchange in your tank maybe poor.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 153 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back