skimmer?

Smorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I Just got my 90 gal tank set up with a sump...my first sump. Had a 55 years ago with canister. The problem...I have a xp1000sss skimmer. I can’t keep it from over flowing. I have tried to raise it...it quits all together...I’m not sure how much flow I should have either. Help?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank and skimmer are new then it most likely needs to break in. I believe the water height for that skimmer is around 5.5" to 6". Also could be something in the tank making it go nuts. I would adjust the skimmer to the lowest setting and remove the collection cup. Let it overflow into the sump and wait for it to calm down.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. Did you treat the water with any chemical additive?

OP
OP
S

Smorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take some pictures of where it is and maybe we could help you out!

image.jpg

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its been cleaned, it needs to break in., Theres a film that gets created on the inside that keeps it in line :)
I may have it close, It is a used system. But not too used. I think I have the correct water level now maybe let it run this way for a day or two and see what happens.

OP
OP
S

Smorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. Did you treat the water with any chemical additive?
No, it was just set up a few weeks ago...I let it cycle without the skimmer on. Water tested this week so I added 2 clowns and a wrasse...some snails, crabs also...2 leather corals (i think that's what they are called)...but no chem.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did you get the picture?
Yes thank you. Have you added any additives to tank lately? Some make the skimmer go nuts. But by the looks of it it looks new and it’s probably in a break in period. So I would try and lower the bubbles to the bottom neck of the cup and leave it be. This always will continue to happen when you go and clean the cup when it’s dirty but won’t take as long.

OP
OP
S

Smorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thank you. Have you added any additives to tank lately? Some make the skimmer go nuts. But by the looks of it it looks new and it’s probably in a break in period. So I would try and lower the bubbles to the bottom neck of the cup and leave it be. This always will continue to happen when you go and clean the cup when it’s dirty but won’t take as long.
The skimmer is new but has been ran before for about 3 months. Thanks for the info.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back