Eel protein skimmer

agoralyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have pretty decent experience with fresh and brackish tanks, but this will be my first saltwater. I have a 90 gallon tank with a Ruby36s sump. The tank is being being optimized from the ground up to eventually house either a banded or skeletor moray.

I'm building the tunnel system with dry rock, then I'm going to seed it with a small chunk of live rock + get the refugium started. Before adding the eel I plan on establishing some more resilient corals (that I won't be heartbroken over if the eel dislodges them) and non-crustacean inverts for CUC. Then adding some cheaper mid/upper water column fish that I won't be heartbroken if they become lunch.

I know moray tanks need heavy duty filtration. When you're starting from a complete blank slate, will having an oversized skimmer running hinder the stabilizing process? I don't want to completely nerf my microfauna, but I'd also hate to have to buy two skimmers for the pre-eel and eel bioloads. I haven't purchased a skimmer yet because I'm been hung up on this concern, so any advice is appreciated!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about a fleece roller and a skimmer for 100 gallon

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ruby cube. And unless you’re gonna change socks everyday or every other day it would handle that part of it. I know with mine it’s sorta a pain to reach in and swap sock

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ruby cube. And unless you’re gonna change socks everyday or every other day it would handle that part of it. I know with mine it’s sorta a pain to reach in and swap sock
Same sump. Im bad about the socks to be honest

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then go with a roller. You’ll just have to change the roll out probably once a month. RedSea seems to be the best. I personally don’t have one but everything I’ve read seems to point that way

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then go with a roller. You’ll just have to change the roll out probably once a month. RedSea seems to be the best. I personally don’t have one but everything I’ve read seems to point that way
For sure will look into it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back