Skimmers, are they really necessary?

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are skimmers really that necessary on all reef tanks?

I personally don’t think they are. I never run skimmers and I can keep any type of coral you can imagine, to include SPS corals.

I think that as long as you have a strong enough and diverse biological filtration (bacteria) your reef tank is set! I always stress it is key to a successful reef tank.

what are your thoughts on this matter of if skimmers are an absolute necessity or not?

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BC49F307-2F5D-4858-8AE5-4B42DA9332F5.jpeg

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally don’t think they are. I never run skimmers and I can keep any type of coral you can imagine, to include SPS corals.

I think that as long as you have a strong enough and diverse biological filtration (bacteria) your reef tank is set! I always stress it is key to a successful reef tank.

what are your thoughts on this matter of if skimmers are an absolute necessity or not?
If you just have corals and very little in the way of fish then a skimmer is not that necessary but wouldn't hurt. If for example you have a reef full of all types of corals and a ton of fish (14), creating a large bioload a skimmer is imo a must for various reasons. This is a description of my tank pretty much and without the skimmers effects my tank would not be as successful.
20210224_155511.jpg

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more than one way to run a reef tank, but you need some sort of nutrient export, whether it is a skimmer, macro algae, water changes, or most likely some combination. IMO if you have a sump (which has it's own advantages), a skimmer is the easiest of those and relatively inexpensive, so I don't know why someone wouldn't want one.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not necessary. There are other methods that are also proven to work, so whichever one feels easiest/preferable to do then that could be the main method for them.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is eating healthy really necessary?

No, you can live on donuts and Mt Dew for quite some time.... well, until your next Drs yearly checkup.

I say why denounce things that are proven to yield good results?

I mean, OP’s question was really about whether or not its necessary and not on whether skimmers bring better results. In a nutshell, like what you and OP said, it isnt necessary (and I wouldn’t compare it to donuts and mt dew cause thats not the best analogy to make). It may however improve your water quality but in the end it is really up to each individual reefer to make that judgement.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, OP’s question was really about whether or not its necessary and not on whether skimmers bring better results. In a nutshell, like what you and OP said, it isnt necessary (and I wouldn’t compare it to donuts and mt dew cause thats not the best analogy to make). It may however improve your water quality but in the end it is really up to each individual reefer to make that judgement.
You wrote a paragraph to tell me, I'm wrong, misguided, whatever. Okay then....

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No ofc not. Neither are sumps, filters, carbon, or anything of that sort.

All you need is rock and flow.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main function of a skimmer is nutrient export, mostly in the form of nitrate and DOC removal. If you have issues keeping elevated nitrate a skimmer is counter productive

The trend right now in large tanks is high import high export. Skimmers function well in this role.

Not everybody runs high import and export and keeps massive amounts of fish. I pulled my skimmers offline because I can't keep nitrate elevated. One less gadget to babysit.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok im going to cars and trucks sorry get ready for this. Lol

Both a 2010 chevy and a 1965 chevy will.drive and get you down the road.
The 65 chevy just.takes a little.more maintence is all.

A.protein skimmer is a add on feature to a.reef tank. Like ac or pwr windows. Is it needed? No prob not but life is better with imo.
D

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
SaltFishTV

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic information on this! Some real great reasons, but what if I told you that I feed twice daily (I’d say heavy) and I don’t have an issue with high nutrients either, but if I do, then I dose bacteria and it lowers it within a day to where I like it. Also, as for oxygen or gas exchange I have my return outlet aimed at the surface and it breaks the surface 24/7, also my baffle in the sump has a slight waterfall doing the same effect. I feel this feature helps a lot with overall oxygenation.

In cases with a ton of fish and you’re having nutrient issues, then it is indeed beneficial for helping lower those nutrient levels.

But every reef is different, there’s always something different in each system that makes it work.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back