Skimmers: Oversized or Undersized?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mike tyson episode 3 GIF
This is America baby, go big or go home.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically …
That’s a lot of fish .

In my 320 I have 15 and know for sure I would have trouble adding anymore in terms of aggression .

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the main reasons to have a skimmer is gas exchange. Larger is better for this.

As for organics, none of them will remove 100%. I run multiples on every tank and no dirty corals have ever had a problem - zoas/palys are banned from the tank since they grow so fast. My Colorado Sunbursts grow like crazy too. The whole dirty vs. clean thing is a myth, IMO, and everything will do well in solid water with a trace but not too much of an excess of building blocks.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks. Will just bother you one last time, will overskimming cause problems with lps corals and the ones that like “dirty” water in general? I know it won’t be a problem for sps tho. Is there any solution to that?
I run this lps/softy tank with a reef octo classic 110...that's rated for a heavy bioload 60 gallon.

My tank is a sumped 29 gallon with three fish. I also have a chaeto refuge, no socks and run the skimmer dry. Currently low nitrates and phosphates....but do have a few in tank algae issues. Everything needs trimming. The tank did fine when I had undetectable N and P.
20230903_150959_HDR.jpg

Markcw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undersized for me have just brought the Bubble magnus QQ2 for my 170 litter and it's not pulling much out, been running around 3 weeks now and I have not had a skimmer for since setting up the tank but decided on one recently as I know it oxygenates the water brilliantly and control PH. I would rather under skim than over skim

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back