Skimming with canister filter?

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post. I recently noticed some oily/protein film on my reef tank's surface. It's a small tank (details below) and I'm running a decently overpowered canister filter. I pointed my powerheads at the surface and I'm fairly certain gas exchange is good enough now. However I obviously don't want this film to continue to build up, nor do I enjoy removing it with paper towel to the best of my ability.

Question- would the below intake get me skimming? Has anyone used something like this in a reef tank with a canister filter? Or maybe a different product?
1615768897562.png

Tank - 36 gallon bowfront, 265gph canister, 2 powerheads, minimal rock formation, aragonite sand.

Considerations - just upgraded to RODI (about 60/40 rodi/tap and getting better each wc), airstones were removed days ago (in favor of surface agitation), tank design recently changed (removed a ton of rock, organic waste, rocks are now stilted on acrylic rods and it's overall a LOT cleaner than it's been in the two years it's been running, new design has been running for 1.5 weeks)

Sump? No, I don't want a sump. I understand the benefits but it's not in the budget nor would it fit in my cabinet. Some day when I have a huge house on a hillside I'll get a giant sump, but right now I'm living in a small downtown apartment.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R! Connecting the surface skimmer adapter to your skimmer will work to remove the film, but IME not particularly well. I used one for about two months before I gave up and went back to more agitation on the surface. One other items to consider is the Tunze Comline filters. Good luck with whatever direction you chose!

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back